Best dealerships to order a 22 from? KY area or at least a days drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chongo

Reaction score
I can't speak to deals/pricing but I just purchased a 2019 from Max Platt Ford in Kendallville, IN. Customer service was top notch!

OP
OP
M

Misteroman

Reaction score
Tried to talk to someone from Chapman which seems about impossible!
Went to Greenwood and they told me they would order me one for MSRP with no mark ups like other dealers!!!
Gee thanks.
Then then said would come down 1k.
When I left the SM came out to see my truck and told me he would do 500 over invoice.
I figure thats still about 4k higher than Chapman but if I cant talk to anyone.....
Almost thinking about moving to an explorer ST as at least they are out now.
D

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last month I ordered a 2022 from Chapman Ford of Horsham, PA for 4% below invoice (plus tax, tags, and document fee). Note I said invoice not MSRP. Can't really beat that deal IMO, especially now, unless you can get A-plan. It is worth me driving there from Michigan to get it once it is completed. No one here would come close to that. Here is the link:

Also Granger Ford of Granger, Iowa was doing 3% under invoice (plus tax, tags, and document fee).

So there are options out there, just need to do a little research.

This is where I bought my truck from. Really shady dealership and terrible service. I was glad to get away from them. Good luck.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is where I bought my truck from. Really shady dealership and terrible service. I was glad to get away from them. Good luck.
I'm curious to hear your experience if you are willing to share. I've read mostly positive things about them.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear your experience if you are willing to share. I've read mostly positive things about them.

I dealt with them for about 4 months, so there's more to write than I care to rehash, but I can share some highlights if you wish. It's loooong though. Scroll to bottom for TL;DR summary. :D

The vehicle I purchased had just come in. It was still in the back of the lot and not even priced yet. The salesman went and talked to management, came back with a price and told me they were selling it as a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO). I told them I would pay X OTD and not a dollar more - however you come to that number is up to you. After the salesman walks back and forth a few times to simulate trips to his boss, he comes with the finance manager (FM) nd the contract. As I'm trying to read the contract the FM keeps prompting me to "just sign it." Nope, not happening. I keep reading and discover that there is no mention of the CPO. The FM tells me "we know it's CPO." I want it writing. "We'll write it in later." No. Finally, he gives in and redoes the contract. Great. Come back in 5 days for the vehicle and we'll have it certified, detailed and ready to pick up.

I call them the day before ickup day and am told it's all done aside from cleaning it. It will be ready tomorrow. I make the 2-hour drive to get it and when I arrive, truck is nowhere to be found. Dealership still swears it's done, but not detailed yet. I tell them I drove 2 hours and I'll just take it as it is. They still can't find it. Now we start walking the lot, checking the various buildings on the property. Found it. It's in the repair shop. Oops, they haven't even certified it yet. Drive back home the 2 hours empty handed.

Another 5-6 days go by and they call. Now it's done. We swear. Ok, drive the 2 hours again. When I get there, they keep shoving the paperwork at me to acknowledge that I received the vehicle. No, I won't sign it until I inspect the vehicle. I brought a checklist with me and start going through it. Tires are down to 2/32. CPO requires they replace these. One fog light is out. One running board gets stuck every other time you open the door. Backup camera looks like the scrambled **** channel. I tell the salesman and we go back inside. A debate ensues over the tires because the CPO paperwork says they're 10/32 all around. Good news fella - I have a tread gauge on me. We go back out and I show him the tread depth. We go back in and now the manager joins the discussion and gets nasty. Ultimately, I say either you replace the tires as the CPO requires or you can tear up the contract. He relents. He sends me to service to discuss the rest of the problems. After that I drive home 2 hours - again with the truck. At this point I have now traveled 12 hours and used 3 tanks of gas with no truck.

A few more days go by and they call again. It's ready. I'm really doubtful at this point, but I have to make the drive to find out. I get there and start checking things over. Tires are done. Fog light is clearly new. Running board was lubed as per paperwork and seems to be working (At this time I was a noob and didn't know lubing the boards was standard practice by Ford to avoid repair/replacement.). Backup camera not done. They "forgot." Nonetheless, the rest is done. I take the truck and drive home with a service appointment a week later for the camera.

The week goes by and that running board is sticking again. They add it to the service ticket. They give me a loaner - but the only one they have is the one the old lady at the service desk uses to smoke in on her break. Ok, why is that even a thing? There are "no smoking" stickers all over these loaners. It stinks to hell but it's that or I take my truck and go home. I take the loaner and drive home. A few days later they call again and say it's done. Camera replaced. Running board lubed again with a promise to replace it if it acts up again. Trim broken on driver seat even though they didn't do any work there. They document my complaints and off I go again. Now we are at 20 hours and 5 tanks of gas.

The next week the camera starts acting up again. Running board, ditto. Back to the dealer. They say they'll replace the running board as per their promise. Awesome. They're going give me another loaner, but wait, they don't have any. I spend several hours there and finally, they have a car for me. Ford Escape Platinum, no smoke odor. Yay! Back home again.

A few more days pass. Dealer calls again. It's done. Ha, sure it is! I make the drive yet again. Camera works. They had to fix a wiring issue they caused the first time around. Running board lubed again. Wait, what?? Service manager (SM) tells me GM stepped in and wouldn't approve replacement. They didn't have the trim piece in stock, so they didn't do that either. GM is out of the office, so SM gives me GM's number and I head home with my truck again. As this would end up being my last trip, the total stood at 28 hours of driving and 7 tanks of gas.

I call the GM Monday and go through everything. I tell him I just want replacements for the running board and broken trim. He tells me it isn't happening. We debate on it and now he starts yelling. He tells me they only sold the truck for $4k more than they paid for it. He says the CPO process already ate into their profits enough and he's done. He tells me to take the truck somewhere else.

That was it. The trim remains broken to this day. I just glued the tabs back on. I had to make another 2-3 trips to my local dealer for the running board. They had to make their X number of attempts at servicing it before Ford would authorize replacement (or so they told me). The camera started acting up again a couple months later and my local dealer had to replace it again. No idea if the first dealer ever actually replaced it. The truck died in the second dealer's shop and as it turns out, the battery was bad (first dealer should have checked and replaced that as per CPO). Ultimately, there ended up being quite a few issues that should have been repaired/replaced under CPO. Dealer 1 just ticked the boxes, but didn't actually do a lot of the things they checked the boxes for. It was also discovered that they painted the underside of my hood where the infamous peeling/bubbling had apparently started. It was only discovered because they forgot to remove a piece of masking tape from the job.

TL;DR: These guys were dishonest with me from start to finish. When all was said and done I got a good price on my truck, but it came at the expense of 28 hours of driving, at least another 10+ hours at the dealer, 7 tanks of gas and a whole lot of stress. Worst dealer experience I have ever had? Nope. I woudln't go back either though. I hope your experience is better than mine because as bad as it sucks driving 2 hours each way, traveling from Michigan to PA and back 7 times would be far worse.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dealt with them for about 4 months, so there's more to write than I care to rehash, but I can share some highlights if you wish. It's loooong though. Scroll to bottom for TL;DR summary. :D

The vehicle I purchased had just come in. It was still in the back of the lot and not even priced yet. The salesman went and talked to management, came back with a price and told me they were selling it as a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO). I told them I would pay X OTD and not a dollar more - however you come to that number is up to you. After the salesman walks back and forth a few times to simulate trips to his boss, he comes with the finance manager (FM) nd the contract. As I'm trying to read the contract the FM keeps prompting me to "just sign it." Nope, not happening. I keep reading and discover that there is no mention of the CPO. The FM tells me "we know it's CPO." I want it writing. "We'll write it in later." No. Finally, he gives in and redoes the contract. Great. Come back in 5 days for the vehicle and we'll have it certified, detailed and ready to pick up.

I call them the day before ickup day and am told it's all done aside from cleaning it. It will be ready tomorrow. I make the 2-hour drive to get it and when I arrive, truck is nowhere to be found. Dealership still swears it's done, but not detailed yet. I tell them I drove 2 hours and I'll just take it as it is. They still can't find it. Now we start walking the lot, checking the various buildings on the property. Found it. It's in the repair shop. Oops, they haven't even certified it yet. Drive back home the 2 hours empty handed.

Another 5-6 days go by and they call. Now it's done. We swear. Ok, drive the 2 hours again. When I get there, they keep shoving the paperwork at me to acknowledge that I received the vehicle. No, I won't sign it until I inspect the vehicle. I brought a checklist with me and start going through it. Tires are down to 2/32. CPO requires they replace these. One fog light is out. One running board gets stuck every other time you open the door. Backup camera looks like the scrambled **** channel. I tell the salesman and we go back inside. A debate ensues over the tires because the CPO paperwork says they're 10/32 all around. Good news fella - I have a tread gauge on me. We go back out and I show him the tread depth. We go back in and now the manager joins the discussion and gets nasty. Ultimately, I say either you replace the tires as the CPO requires or you can tear up the contract. He relents. He sends me to service to discuss the rest of the problems. After that I drive home 2 hours - again with the truck. At this point I have now traveled 12 hours and used 3 tanks of gas with no truck.

A few more days go by and they call again. It's ready. I'm really doubtful at this point, but I have to make the drive to find out. I get there and start checking things over. Tires are done. Fog light is clearly new. Running board was lubed as per paperwork and seems to be working (At this time I was a noob and didn't know lubing the boards was standard practice by Ford to avoid repair/replacement.). Backup camera not done. They "forgot." Nonetheless, the rest is done. I take the truck and drive home with a service appointment a week later for the camera.

The week goes by and that running board is sticking again. They add it to the service ticket. They give me a loaner - but the only one they have is the one the old lady at the service desk uses to smoke in on her break. Ok, why is that even a thing? There are "no smoking" stickers all over these loaners. It stinks to hell but it's that or I take my truck and go home. I take the loaner and drive home. A few days later they call again and say it's done. Camera replaced. Running board lubed again with a promise to replace it if it acts up again. Trim broken on driver seat even though they didn't do any work there. They document my complaints and off I go again. Now we are at 20 hours and 5 tanks of gas.

The next week the camera starts acting up again. Running board, ditto. Back to the dealer. They say they'll replace the running board as per their promise. Awesome. They're going give me another loaner, but wait, they don't have any. I spend several hours there and finally, they have a car for me. Ford Escape Platinum, no smoke odor. Yay! Back home again.

A few more days pass. Dealer calls again. It's done. Ha, sure it is! I make the drive yet again. Camera works. They had to fix a wiring issue they caused the first time around. Running board lubed again. Wait, what?? Service manager (SM) tells me GM stepped in and wouldn't approve replacement. They didn't have the trim piece in stock, so they didn't do that either. GM is out of the office, so SM gives me GM's number and I head home with my truck again. As this would end up being my last trip, the total stood at 28 hours of driving and 7 tanks of gas.

I call the GM Monday and go through everything. I tell him I just want replacements for the running board and broken trim. He tells me it isn't happening. We debate on it and now he starts yelling. He tells me they only sold the truck for $4k more than they paid for it. He says the CPO process already ate into their profits enough and he's done. He tells me to take the truck somewhere else.

That was it. The trim remains broken to this day. I just glued the tabs back on. I had to make another 2-3 trips to my local dealer for the running board. They had to make their X number of attempts at servicing it before Ford would authorize replacement (or so they told me). The camera started acting up again a couple months later and my local dealer had to replace it again. No idea if the first dealer ever actually replaced it. The truck died in the second dealer's shop and as it turns out, the battery was bad (first dealer should have checked and replaced that as per CPO). Ultimately, there ended up being quite a few issues that should have been repaired/replaced under CPO. Dealer 1 just ticked the boxes, but didn't actually do a lot of the things they checked the boxes for. It was also discovered that they painted the underside of my hood where the infamous peeling/bubbling had apparently started. It was only discovered because they forgot to remove a piece of masking tape from the job.

TL;DR: These guys were dishonest with me from start to finish. When all was said and done I got a good price on my truck, but it came at the expense of 28 hours of driving, at least another 10+ hours at the dealer, 7 tanks of gas and a whole lot of stress. Worst dealer experience I have ever had? Nope. I woudln't go back either though. I hope your experience is better than mine because as bad as it sucks driving 2 hours each way, traveling from Michigan to PA and back 7 times would be far worse.
Appreciate the detailed write up. No doubt they didn't treat you right and I would have been pretty PO'd.

I'm hoping since the vehicle we are buying is new we can hopefully avoid similar issues but anything can happen. There will be no trips back and forth on our part due to distance like you mentioned. Any issues that come up will have to be dealt with at our local dealer.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Appreciate the detailed write up. No doubt they didn't treat you right and I would have been pretty PO'd.

I'm hoping since the vehicle we are buying is new we can hopefully avoid similar issues but anything can happen. There will be no trips back and forth on our part due to distance like you mentioned. Any issues that come up will have to be dealt with at our local dealer.
+1.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Np. At some point after I purchased my vehicle they had a disgruntled customer plow into the entire front line of new vehicles at the dealership. I think he wrecked 18 vehicles or thereabouts. (Yes, he was identified and arrested.) I don't know what they did to him, but it must have been even worse than my experience. :D

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Np. At some point after I purchased my vehicle they had a disgruntled customer plow into the entire front line of new vehicles at the dealership. I think he wrecked 18 vehicles or thereabouts. (Yes, he was identified and arrested.) I don't know what they did to him, but it must have been even worse than my experience. :D
LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khwolf13