Bilstein Install - Length

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil2D2

Reaction score
Attempted to install 5100s on rear of our 2018 XLT Max yesterday. It's a 12hr story of swearing and sweating and disappointment that I will spare everyone for now.

1000003180.jpg

Basic question is did anyone that did this themselves have similar shock length difference using stock height setting? The Bilstein was enough longer for me that the stock springs really doesn't have much preload at all. With suspension at full droop I can move the spring slightly. It's tight but not by much.

Ride height seems correct/stock. Hard to give judgement on ride because I only got the one installed so far

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Attempted to install 5100s on rear of our 2018 XLT Max yesterday. It's a 12hr story of swearing and sweating and disappointment that I will spare everyone for now.

View attachment 81718

Basic question is did anyone that did this themselves have similar shock length difference using stock height setting? The Bilstein was enough longer for me that the stock springs really doesn't have much preload at all. With suspension at full droop I can move the spring slightly. It's tight but not by much.

Ride height seems correct/stock. Hard to give judgement on ride because I only got the one installed so far

Bilstein monotube shocks may be charged different most shocks. Even on my BMWs, they were always slightly longer in the extended position but it should be okay. As long as the spring doesn't move too much in the fully extended position, you should be okay.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is correct (or rather, that’s what I found and read). Have had them on for a couple of years with no issues.

OP
OP
P

Phil2D2

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. As an update I ended up taking it in to have dealer finish other side. Had to buy new lower bolts anyway so stopped by service dept and they got me in the following day when bolts came in and was fairly reasonable. Probably helped that I had just had all the bolts loose and had replaced the swelled OEM lug nuts two days prior.

Ride height seems correct and I haven't heard any new noises that I would expect if springs were not preloaded sufficiently. Even after a short vacation road trip, it is hard to give much of a review on ride quality because the following day it got a set of LT Michelin tires so don't know how much to attribute to either change. Regardless it doesn't do near as much rocking back and forth when entering or exiting driveways and is no longer puking shock oil in garage. Both wins.

slow3v

Reaction score
LT's will definitely give it a stiffer ride. Bilstiens are great though, nice choice.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
12h for 1, yikes...
I think I did all 4 of mine on a Saturday afternoon. It takes a fair bit of spring compression to get the springs on, so the "lack" of preload just isn't a thing. I loved the bilsteins on mine, wish I still had them. Just don't love the CCD...

OP
OP
P

Phil2D2

Reaction score
First 2hrs (including the first of several trips to store) was just getting the rear wheels off with the swelled lug nuts. Chiseling the first couple off before researching and finding that surprisingly Autozone had the 21.5mm socket. Still had to drive socket on them and drive them out of the socket when off but much faster than the chisel (and with fewer scratches on wheels).

After that it went fairly smooth for a while. Lower bolt between the shock and lower control arm was the big deal for the whole project. Bolt was free in control arm but seized in shock bushing and could not break it loose for anything. (Another trip to store for 30mm impact socket) The rubber in shock bushing gave enough that the impact couldn’t get it. After several rounds of spray/soak/impact the driver moved a little with a breaker bar and I finally got it free on the driver side. Trying to save the bolt I mushroomed my new 30mm socket using to hammer out the bolt by the nut.

Used the jack to compress suspension, put spring compressor on finger tight and lowered jack. Worked slick. Swapped shock with only a pause to consider the length difference. I could see light at the end of the tunnel.

Worked for another several rounds on the passenger side and thought I had it until I realized the bolt was still seized and I was spinning bushing in the shock itself. (Including another trip to store for second 30mm impact socket)

I’m sure some heat would have helped but working on a Sat (now afternoon) resulted in closed parts dept at the dealership in my town and all I checked semi-local. Short of a 2hr+ drive I would not have access to new bolts, and I couldn’t even get to them before they closed for the day at this point.

So faced with leaving Expy half hanging out of garage out of commission until Tues when I could get bolts…I put everything back together on the passenger side and at least had a usable vehicle.

If I lived in a larger town with more dealer options or had preplanned and got bolts ahead of time, I am confident I could have gotten it done faster by being more “aggressive” with the hammer or sawzall or torch.

And as I look at it, I saved myself a lot of headaches by finding the lug nuts now compared to finding out on the side of the road somewhere. I’m a little annoyed that my oil change place that typically rotates my tires hadn’t mentioned this but to be fair I hadn’t rotated the tires in a while since I knew new ones were due.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could have saved a lot of effort using search. The issues with the swollen lugs and the seized lower bolt have been covered. I lit the bottom bushing on fire after hours spent wailing away using various tools with no movement.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoodemoot