brake rotors already warped?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The reality is that rotors don't really warp. They build deposits of brake shoe material on the surface of the rotor. This can be caused by a number issues.

Andy, I don't often disagree with you...but I do here. Rotors DEFINITELY warp. I have seen MANY where they would not lay on a flat surface after being removed from a vehicle. Now in most cases it was on Sporty minded vehicles or Race cars. In some cases it could be blamed on BAD design, a hard track session where the driver(me) dragged the brakes too much to dry them, or over tightening of lug nuts, especially on 4 lug designs.

I do agree with several comments, that on most street cars "warping" is typically pad material build up, and can be resolved with a simple turn, or sometimes just a good cleaning. Replacing the terrible OEM Pads can solve most of these issues, once the "warp" has been solved.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy, I don't often disagree with you...but I do here. Rotors DEFINITELY warp. I have seen MANY where they would not lay on a flat surface after being removed from a vehicle. Now in most cases it was on Sporty minded vehicles or Race cars. In some cases it could be blamed on BAD design, a hard track session where the driver(me) dragged the brakes too much to dry them, or over tightening of lug nuts, especially on 4 lug designs.

I do agree with several comments, that on most street cars "warping" is typically pad material build up, and can be resolved with a simple turn, or sometimes just a good cleaning. Replacing the terrible OEM Pads can solve most of these issues, once the "warp" has been solved.
No problem, I was mainly referring to passenger vehicles. And the articles that I present supported that thinking. :D I'm certainly not an expert, and I don't play one on TV either. :)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! It never ceases to amaze me, what happens to these vehicles. Heat is always the enemy on brakes. If these rotors were manufactured too thin for heat disapation, the last thing you'd want to do is machine them even thinner. Normally I'm a Ford part guy as most of you know, but sounds the aftermarket is the way to go on these 3 rd edition models. Another example of Ford not using a quality part, what was their saying quality is job 1, yeah right. Anybody that's had good luck with aftermarket rotors, besides our 1 member please post brand, and long term results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigbadbull

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I warped the right side rotors on my Then new 2011 F150 in like 10000 miles....
Key was to not drive threw standing water if you had been driveing a bunch.. the Water rapidly cools the rotors off and causes warping.
This may seem obvious , but the area I work in down town is prone to flash flooding all the time.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If that was the case then every passenger car that drives in wet weather and got water on their rotors would have wobbly wheel, and pulsating pedal. I think the warpage on these vehicles has to do with poor quality metallurgy. Add to that a misalignment of rotor to wheel attachment, and this can be causing the problem. The rotor size is the same if not bigger than whats on my 2000 Eddie Bauer 4x4. My rotors are grooved out a little due to wear, but after close to 3 years and 25,000 miles, I have no pulsating. I believe this issue on the 3rd editions, has to deal with the parts their installing. Maybe their that 30percent failure that the other member eluded to.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been a "shade tree mechanic" for about 50 years. I have done a fair number of brake jobs on my vehicles as well as others. OEM rotor from the factory seem to last quite a long time unless you are doing a lot of hard braking (towing). I have also seen "odd ball brand" rotors warp within 1-2 years even without towing.

Now I buy the best BRAND NAME rotors I can find (except for the "slotted and drilled" ones). The past 3 or 4 brake jobs I have bought Raybestos Advance Technology rotor. They have held up very well with no warping. I have heard a lot of good things about Wagner also. Just be careful as all brands sell multiple "levels" of rotor from cheap to super premium. You get what you pay for with rotors.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you installed raybestos premium advance tech rotors on a third gen? You didn't state what year vehicle you used these on.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So you installed raybestos premium advance tech rotors on a third gen? You didn't state what year vehicle you used these on.
No I did not say ! Actually I put them on a '98 E150 that does some light towing. They have worked perfect (except when the one caliper froze and the pad wore down and allowed the backing plate to chew up the rotor; the other side still looks like new !)

I have also installed them on an Excursion and on a previous gen Explorer.

Part numbers for Advanced Technology Rotors:

Second Gen Expedition front Raybestos 680105
Third Gen Expedition front Raybestos 680508

Add a "P" on the end for "Police" ! STAY AWAY FROM THE "R" SUFFIX (those are the cheapies) !

Price check Rock Auto/Amazon and eBay.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess were still searching for that member that installed different rotors on a 2007 or newer expedition/ f150, that cured the pulsating pedal/ out of round rotor issue. Anyone?