Can’t get new ignition cylinder out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codyhines

Reaction score
Hey guys I think I installed my new ignition cylinder incorrectly and now I cannot remove it. I also don’t see the pin you depress to remove the cylinder from underneath the column. Any tips help!! Steering wheel is also locked. Thanks guys

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you have no response I'll put in my mostly useless 2 cents. The ignition cylinders I have worked on cannot be installed incorrectly, simply won't go in. Maybe this one is different. I also suggest that there is a good chance if it is inserted wrong the retention pin/ball should be depressed such that it's not holding it in. Maybe try putting the key in, turn it a bit so you can pull on it while wiggling it and spray some silicone around the cylinder to see if it will slide back out.

Eddie Hudson

Reaction score
What year is your car? On my 2001, there is a hole in the steering column cover and you just stick a thin screwdriver in and slowly turn the key. Once the pin is depressed the cylinder will come out.

If you have a 2003 or newer I THINK you have to remove the cover and the pin is on the ignition switch.