CEL P0455 (Evap emission leak)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My CEL came on last time I drove my Expedition and it was to late in the day for me to do anything about it so I just parked it in my driveway and left it until today. There was no noticeable loss in power or any other indications of a problem except for the CEL being illuminated. After scanning it, code # P0455 came up, which is Evaporative emission (gross leak). I have done some research and came up with a couple options.

1. Gas cap

2. Evaporative emissions canister purge valve

3. Some sort of vacuum leak (doubtful)

4. (I think this is it) Offroading last week at an extreme angle far enough to have fuel leak out of the fuel cap (pic below) and caused the CEL.

I cleared the code and it has not come back. I will keep my eyes on it for now but I am not very worried about it. If you have this happen to you now you can know where to start. Also if you have had this happen post up with your fix.

IMG_1093.jpg

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soo much for that government short cut you took:Grenade: theyll get you somehow :)

OP
OP
JDMitchell

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope they haven't gotten me. The light is off and I am not losing any sleep over it. But it does give me an excuse to pull the rear cats and put on a Flowmaster 40. I told my wife that the "CEL is because of the exhaust so it really needs to be replaced." :pepper:

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope they haven't gotten me. The light is off and I am not losing any sleep over it. But it does give me an excuse to pull the rear cats and put on a Flowmaster 40. I told my wife that the "CEL is because of the exhaust so it really needs to be replaced." :pepper:

Smart man:)

Soldier777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like you said sinceyou cleared it and it has not come back why loose sleep:)

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

that is a great plan... lol

OP
OP
JDMitchell

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now I just need to keep her from reading this thread so I can find a good exhaust shop and get it done.

OP
OP
JDMitchell

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bump to the top for the wife to read.

einstein%2Bdouchebag.jpg

:jester:

I don't think I have to worry about her getting on here, but she was bugging me the other day to show her the mud hole pics I posted, so I might have to start closing this forum down when I am done.