Code P0430

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCAST

Reaction score
New to the forum. Happy to be here. It's been a while since I've owned a Ford. Had a bad experience with the nightmare Triton Engine on my F150 years ago but a good experience with a Focus.

So, last week (8 days ago) I bought a pre-owned 2018 Expedition from the dealer @86K. Today the check engine light comes on reading code P0430 which is the bank 2 cat drivers side. Dealer says the warranty ends at 80K so I'm over. I'm hesitant to bring it back to them so I've made an appointment with my mechanic. However, they cannot get me in until Monday. I'm not sure if the code threw when it was at the dealer or not and they cleared it or what? But what are the thoughts on driving it in town with this code until Monday (5 days from now)?

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I received a cat and oxygen sensor code after a very bad storm. I decided to clear the codes and see if it came back.
It has been 2 months and no code has come back.
I'm not saying this could be your issue. But I do know water plays a factor with certain error codes.
So, I always clear them and wait for them to come back a second time, before acting on them. It could be a false positive, but many times for me it was not.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
actually totally agree with @Mr Big, I've had this very code more than once under light acceleration in the rain. Seems stupid! I'm tuned and have some mods so sometimes I blame those but the moisture definitely seems to increase chances of issues.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a 'cat' code can be from the post-cat O2 sensor, too. hook up a ODBC setup that can datalog, and log all 4 O2 sensors while you take a test drive. the two pre-cat sensors should match if the engine itself is burning fine... if the right post-cat is consistently higher reading than the left, then its either the cat or the sensor. O2 sensors are cheaper and easier to replace than cats, and 86K miles is getting close to their typical life anyways. Also, an exhaust gas analyzer can verify the cat is actually bad. don't use offbrand budget o2 sensors!! (or really, any other chineseum parts)

Ugh_J

Reaction score
I had this on my 2020. The check engine light would go away on longer drives but come back when driving short trips around town. They replaced the bank 2 cat and hasn't been back since. I did monitor cat temps and the upstream/downstream O2 sensors while driving, and while the upstream O2 sensors and cat temps were consistent, the bank 2 downstream sensor would fluctuate, especially when the cats were under ~900 degrees. Once they got up to ~1350 things would stabilize.

Randy Bassett

Reaction score
New to the forum. Happy to be here. It's been a while since I've owned a Ford. Had a bad experience with the nightmare Triton Engine on my F150 years ago but a good experience with a Focus.

So, last week (8 days ago) I bought a pre-owned 2018 Expedition from the dealer @86K. Today the check engine light comes on reading code P0430 which is the bank 2 cat drivers side. Dealer says the warranty ends at 80K so I'm over. I'm hesitant to bring it back to them so I've made an appointment with my mechanic. However, they cannot get me in until Monday. I'm not sure if the code threw when it was at the dealer or not and they cleared it or what? But what are the thoughts on driving it in town with this code until Monday (5 days from now)?
I had that. Replaced a lot of stuff - plugs, O2 sensors, cleaned throtle body, ran injector cleaner through. Nothing worked, until I changed the cat converter. Twice. Aftermarket one didn't work. Ford OEM unit did (and it's twice the size of the aftermarket one).