Considering a dash cam - Easy way to tap power ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am considering adding a dash cam to my 2023 Limited SPP.

I am wondering if there is a kit (or easy technique) to tap power up near the rear view mirror.
Is there an inline plug that just goes in to the mirror back?

Thanks in advance.

Honestlyhemp

Reaction score
Doesn't your dash cam show you back camera in reverse. Dash cam wires are made long enough to reach the rear your driver side reverse light is behind the panel there is where you should tap into it Mount your rear camera above the rear door. do have a rear camera that goes with your dash cam correct?

Ugh_J

Reaction score
There was a thread around here I saw a while back about tapping into the connector behind the mirror trim cover. https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/rearview-mirror-radar-mount-and-power-tap.46296/ is one example. May or may not differ in details on your '23. Search for "rearview mirror tap" and you should get some more results. I didn't do the rearview tap on my 2020; I just did the same thing I did in the 2015 F-150: put in one of those fuse adapters that plugs into an original slot in the fusebox over in the passenger footwell, and then I ran the cables up the A pillar across the headliner. Wasn't much of a job, though I already had the wires wrapped in cloth tape to prevent rattles which was the most annoying part of the original job.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would suggest doing it the right way with hardwire kit with a low voltage cutoff switch. This will give you the option for parking mode without coming back to a dead battery. I think all the major manufacturers have them and they're pretty cheap. With those you just use add-a-fuse circuits for constant/switched power. The most challenging part is running the wire, but honestly it's a lot more work to run the wire for a rear cam than it is to run power from the main front cam to the fuse box. That all runs pretty easily across the front of the headliner and down the A-pillar with a plastic trim tool.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn’t tap into anything. Just in case there’s an issue with the camera it won’t take out something else with it. I’d give it its own source of power; keeping it isolated. Here’s one example…

I’d run the wiring along the headliner/ top of windshield, then down the windshield pillar to the fuse box. Wire the camera up to the jumper. Plug in the fuse and jumper. Done.

Attachments

• IMG_8256.jpeg
    IMG_8256.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Ugh_J

Reaction score
Plug in the fuse and jumper. Done.
Agree, though I would not recommend buying those online. Assuming you have an auto parts store within 15 minutes, just go drive over and get a few. Supports your local economy and avoids risk of fire from cheaply-made electrical stuff.