DIY - Oil change for a 2017 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,
This inquiry will sound like it's coming from someone who does not know what they are doing.....but I have changed my own oil for 50+ years......from compacts to Corvettes. But getting under my 2017 for the first time threw me for a loop????

As some of you know the 'bottom' is covered with a metal 'plate' and with some 'felty' feeling stuff....which hinders access to anything. Imprinted on the 'metal' cover stated more than once...."Do Not remove bolts for an oil change" ????? Upon removing partially the front 'felty' thingy I can 'see' the oil filter but getting my 70+ year old body to 'touch' it is quite a sight!!! But how does one get access to the oil plug to drain? In fact how is one to do any of this???? There are 2 'rubber' covers?/flaps? that come off(from the metal cover) but I don't see how these help accessing anything????

I'm kinda embarrassed to admitting to this..... but I've got 6 qts of syn. oil and a filter waiting to be installed (by me...or someone).

Thanks for responding. Anxiously looking forward to responses.

P.S. -> I did look online but what I saw didn't look like my vehicle even tho it said for '17' Expy.

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well.......... I did some more research and did find a 2015 oil change ..... very detailed. It did look my '17' on what was being shown. I guess maybe I am getting 'blind' because when I was under the vehicle and took off the back 'felty' thing I did not see the oil plug...but I guess it has to be there.....so will get under again and try again????

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 - purchased new.

I have changed the oil and filter on my vehicles (and many other repairs) for more than 45 years - including family member’s vehicles.

The Expedition is the most difficult vehicle to change the oil and filter that I have ever encountered.

I take it to the dealer for the “Works” package. Twice, the dealer installed 5W20 oil and once the dealer installed 8 quarts of oil.

I’ve always done it myself - but it is too difficult. However, if you have a dealer do it - watch them closely.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Getting oil out is easy, just suck it out the dipstick. Common procedure with inboard boat engines. I do this with my lawn equipment and S2000. Oil filter, though, is more of a challenge on the Expedition (can be reached from above on the S2K and mowers).

I let Ford do the maintenance on my Expeditions and never experienced problems with either of my two Ford dealers and the Works package. Lots of Ford dealers around if yours employs idiots.

An extended out of town trip a few years found me at a Jiffy Lube and they were shaking the car and kicking the wheels in an attempt to remove them to rotate the tires. They'd removed all five lug nuts from each wheel but the wheels were stuck on. Solution was as simple as removing the sixth nut...

-- Chuck

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to change the oil in all my vehicles myself. I take the Expy to the dealer because itis cheaper than anywhere else, and for the cost my time is worth much more. Every now and them I get a free change and everything is inspected by someeone who knows the vehicle.

I have made many repairs myself after being advised by the dealer of what needs attention. Sometimes you just cant beat going tothe vehicle dealer, and I am a cheapskate.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3.5L engine has to be the worst oil changing experience I ever had with any of the dozen or so cars I have owned. I am thinking about buying a remote oil filter kit so I can move the filter to the frame rail and then I can use a larger oil filter.

I remove the felt cover and the metal cover. It's the only way I can get my big hands up to the oil filter to remove it.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any thoughts on keeping the felt cover off? What are the negative effects?

JRHEXP

Reaction score
I have changed the oil in my 2017 twice and I will admit its not easy. I remove the air inlet tubes and go down from the top to get the filter. If you remove the felt cover the drain plug becomes accessible

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The metal cover and felt cover help with airflow under the truck. I would leave them on.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I did my first oil change I decided to remove the felt-like noise suppression cover from under the oil pan and just leave it off.. I also removed the brackets for it. After creating a massive mess removing the oil filter the first time I started putting an extra large zip lock back under the filter before removing it, then dropping it into the bag.. keeps oil from getting all over the skid plate and dripping onto my driveway for days.