DIY - Oil change for a 2017 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a dealer change my oil for ten years. Here's the damage sustained on various cars:

Oil plug threads stripped, replaced with plastic plug.
Oil plugs stripped, plug held in with two threads.
Oil overfilled one and one-half quart.
Oil filter installed with two gaskets (old one not removed) causing leak.
Leaking oil plug, not tightened. Finger tight.
Low oil level (three times).

That's why I change my own oil. Since I began maintaining my own cars with OEM parts, I've gotten no less than 265,000 miles from my Fords -- Excursion, Expeditions, Explorers, Focus, and Taurus. When I'm under the car I get to see the general condition of things. I find other problems before they cause more harm.

For me, it pays to get off my rear end and do the job nobody else is going to do the way I do.
I totally agree with that. Get familiar with your truck and don't be afraid to work on it. When I was a kid a friend of mine got a job in a gas station and told me that he put the fresh motor oil in the transmission of someone's car.

Araf

Reaction score
Anyone drain hole on oil pan being in the dumbest angle, whereby the oil comes shooting out to the side, even hitting the tire, making a huge mess? Or perhaps I just did something wrong? It's really silly..

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I've not changed the oil in my Expedition but on the car that I do I leave the cap on the valve cover on until the drain plug is removed. This prevents the inrush of air into the top of the system and the oil will glug rather than shoot out of the drain. Oil filter is last. I prefer to have the Ford dealer look at the truck annually and change the oil at the same time.

-- Chuck

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone drain hole on oil pan being in the dumbest angle, whereby the oil comes shooting out to the side, even hitting the tire, making a huge mess? Or perhaps I just did something wrong? It's really silly..
There are always fixes for those kind of things. Utube has videos on that model oil change.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
drain hole on oil pan being in the dumbest angle, whereby the oil comes shooting out to the side, even hitting the tire, making a huge mess?

On the V8 Explorers, it hits a plastic baffle and sprays around like a lawn sprinkler. WTF were they thinking?

Last edited: