Do you really need an extended warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lumos

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been a Toyota owner for 30+ years and have NEVER needed an extended warranty. The only issues I've had with Toyotas are relatively minor after 10+ year of driving.

This is my first ever Ford, a 2018 Expedition. Bought new and is just over 2 years old. The 3 year coverage is almost up. I've noticed a lot of people buying extended warranties on this forum for the Ford Expedition. Is this really needed and do you get value out of it? Should I dump this car before the main warranty expires and go back to Toyota or do you think this will continue to be a reasonably reliable vehicle?

I have tried bringing it in for minor warranty issues that the Dealer said "normal or can't recreate behavior so there is no problem". (note: problems still occur) I've not had anything seriously wrong with it yet and have around 15k mile on the ODO.) I HATE bringing my vehicle in for repairs, even under warranty, because they usually don't fix the problem, do a crap-job, try to rip you off, or cause other problems.

Advice?

Thank you in advance.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A lot of Ford owners take their cars/trucks to a Lincoln dealership. You'll get the same treatment as a Lincoln owner less a free loaner.

Personally, the extended warranty on my Expedition is only the second one I've ever purchased on anything. The first was an extended engine warranty on my 6.0 Powerstroke, that was never needed. On vehicles like the Expedition, repairs can be extremely expensive. A power step replacement or a moonroof malfunction will probably amount to the money the warranty cost me. And, I'm already noticing issues with one of the power steps not folding up when a door is closed.

In retrospect, had I known how much this pandemic would affect the amount of driving, I would have bought one with the same # of years but with far less mileage. I still have nearly a year left on the factory warranty, and super low miles, so I'm thinking that I still have "options" available in terms of modifying, cancelling, or transferring it.

In my younger years I would have gambled understanding that I had the skills, tools, and time to do my own smaller repairs. However, I've reached the age where I've had to give up things I enjoyed doing: hand-washing, working on top of, or crawling under my vehicles so it's peace of mind knowing it's there if needed.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I second that response, but add in the following. Depending upon how long you want to own the vehicle, literally tells us if you should or shouldn't get a warranty. I flat out did, as I usually keep my vehicles past the factory warranties, and I know first hand how much things like panoramic moonroofs cost to fix.

But having had my vehicle for almost a year now and seeing what I see on this forum, I'm grateful I have the extended warranty. I'm still within the factory warranty and hope to keep this vehicle for a while but we'll see how things go. I look at the VCT issues so many are experiencing, with many folks having to get the service done 2 or 3 times. Having just had the VCT service done, I could totally see it reoccurring just outside of the factory warranty and costing me $2K+ just for that. As the previous response said, I used to do all of my own maintenance as well, but short of having a shop with $100K+ in tools, I really can't do much on these any more (let alone the time).

In the end, it's just a gamble, I feel honestly on my side that gambling on losing $1700 or whatever the warranty cost, is a heck of a lot better than losing $10K+ on repairs if I keep the vehicle long enough. Just be sure to shop around if you do, many of us have saved a lot of $$ buying through other dealers. I think one of the most recommended is Flood Ford correct?

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a certain period of time/miles you’re able to purchase an extended warranty after purchasing a new vehicle? When I purchased my Expedition (which Ford subsequently bought back) the finance guy at the dealership led me to believe I had to buy the extended warranty while I was there and that was my only opportunity. When I buy my next Expedition it would be nice knowing I have the option to shop around for extended warranty coverage.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, I don't think I've bought an extended warranty in my life, but I'm going to have to make a decision in a few months. We've already had the tranny worked on, but powertrain and tranny are covered til 5/60k miles anyways. We're usually drive it til it dies, so may end up getting a warranty through Flood Ford before the factory runs out. Not entirely for sure though! It seems like the general consensus on here is to get the warranty and it may well be worth it for an extra $3-$4000 if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while. Not sure if we'll do it or not. I also agree on the part about having the dealer do any work to start with, it seems like they always screw something up or "can't replicate."

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are complicated cars. The closest thing left to a lump of an engine is probably Toyota's 5.7 and that will be going way of the DoDo pretty shortly.

My 2020 has dual fuel systems to combat Direct Injection issues, and even though it is an XLT with 2 options, there's enough electronic gee-gaws to cause a normal mech fits, so it will almost always be Ford's baby to fix. Besides, it already has quite a few minor warranty issues in less that 12K. So...

FWIW I have owned SEVERAL extended warranties, and only once did I ever break even on one. Most, I returned/sold the car and got a portion of the warranty $$$ returned for non-use. It is insurance if something catastrophic goes wrong, it is peace of mind, and I expect I will buy one for mine if I keep it past the factory one.

I don't know if you sell your vehicle's privately, but:
1. They are usually transferable for a small fee
2. It gives the next buyer peace of mind you ain't selling them a lemon (b/c you would of fixed it under the warranty in the first place).

YMMV...

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great point on the resale value! Never thought of that. IMO it’s a no brainer to buy it if you plan to keep past the factory or CPO warranty.

Negotiate a bit and you can get 10 years / 125k miles for just over $2k.

Get the lowest deductible if you want little things fixed more often. That’s what I did so I didn’t sit there saying to myself, “do I need to have them fix that annoying rattle?”.

Plati

Reaction score
Insurance companies aren't stupid. They know exactly how much to charge to guarantee a profitable return on the policy they will sell you. Guess who's losing money on the transaction? Of course , thats "on average" so maybe you will be the one to get lucky. If you like gambling, then go for it. Or ... if you like gambling then don't do it. Either way.

All box stores sell warranties on everything now. I bought a pencil at Staples the other day and was offered a warranty. It was a really nice pencil!

Last edited:

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, for a little over $2k for up to 125k miles is probably worth it I guess. I still have a few months to decide, but will be leaning toward getting it.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, for a little over $2k for up to 125k miles is probably worth it I guess. I still have a few months to decide, but will be leaning toward getting it.
I think generally, you can always buy one as long as you are still under the factory warranty, and I think you can buy outside the warranty if you have the vehicle inspected by a dealership. However the longer you wait the more expensive the coverage gets. Also pricing changes (increases) in February each year.