Electronic Limited Slip Differential Temporarily Disabled message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pmm150

Reaction score
Hello Forum! Wondering if anyone had seen this Electronic Limited Slip Differential Temporarily Disabled message before. (see image) My 2020 Platinum Max started doing this last week. The message randomly comes and goes, no buttons getting pressed on the dash. Why does this happen? Is this a safety issue? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_1550.jpg
    IMG_1550.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 5

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Electronic Limited Slip Differential Temporarily Disabled​
The system temporarily turns off. This could be due to an undersized spare tire or caused by the system overheating. If an undersized spare tire is installed, replace the spare tire with a full-sized tire as soon as possible. If an undersized spare tire is not installed, stop your vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so and allow the system to cool.​

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would get that message in my departed 2017 limited after using the vehicle offroad sometimes. Dust or a small rock in the brakes. The message went away after a few miles on pavement.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello Forum! Wondering if anyone had seen this Electronic Limited Slip Differential Temporarily Disabled message before. (see image) My 2020 Platinum Max started doing this last week. The message randomly comes and goes, no buttons getting pressed on the dash. Why does this happen? Is this a safety issue? Thanks for your help!
Do you have the simulated lock button pressed? Do you have a spare tire on the rear? Been doing a lot of burnouts?

Like was said above, could be a sign you have an issue with a Wheel speed/ABS Sensor. If it is having an issue, the ELSD will turn off, because the computer cannot sense wheel speed differential correctly.

Have you scanned for codes?

Also, do a search on here, there have been several threads on this issue in the past with some good info, and history.

khammer

Reaction score
Any recent changes or moves to tires?

My SIL got this message on her EXP after replacing just the rear tires. The rear tires had been damage so to keep them even, they replaced both. The front tires were in good shape with plenty of tread left.

Evidently, the small amount of difference in size from brand new tires and slightly used was enough for the speed sensors or modules to notice and throw the message every once in a while.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any recent changes or moves to tires?

My SIL got this message on her EXP after replacing just the rear tires. The rear tires had been damage so to keep them even, they replaced both. The front tires were in good shape with plenty of tread left.

Evidently, the small amount of difference in size from brand new tires and slightly used was enough for the speed sensors or modules to notice and throw the message every once in a while.
Correct. That is mentioned in those other threads.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, that's crazy, seems like Ford should have programmed the system to recognize persistent differences in tire diameter to account for this. Sounds like an excuse to get D or E tires. I would hate to have to replace all four if one got damaged.

mreed112

Reaction score
If you buy tires from Tire Rack, they will shave the tread to your spec. I just replaced a sidewall damaged right front 22" General that I had them shave 3/32" to match the left front and the rears. They shipped the tire to the local Discount Tire for mounting and balance. Overall, everything seems to have worked well and I am pleased to only have to replace one tire.

PS - Discount Tire owns Tire Rack.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, that's crazy, seems like Ford should have programmed the system to recognize persistent differences in tire diameter to account for this. Sounds like an excuse to get D or E tires. I would hate to have to replace all four if one got damaged.
Nope, differential is differential. It is not as sensitive as some other manufactures systems, like Subaru.