Electronic Limited Slip Differential Temporarily Disabled message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope, differential is differential. It is not as sensitive as some other manufactures systems, like Subaru.
I've heard of this issue arising with different tires on the same axle, but not with differences between the front and rear axles. Subaru has full time AWD. On the Expedition, the front axle doesn't even get power all the time on 4WD units. I don't think its reasonable to expect consumers to replace four tires if one is damaged, or suffer through repeated warnings. I used to get slow leaks all the time from all the construction in my area, but my Expedition is 4x2 so it was just an inconvenience.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard of this issue arising with different tires on the same axle, but not with differences between the front and rear axles. Subaru has full time AWD. On the Expedition, the front axle doesn't even get power all the time on 4WD units. I don't think its reasonable to expect consumers to replace four tires if one is damaged, or suffer through repeated warnings. I used to get slow leaks all the time from all the construction in my area, but my Expedition is 4x2 so it was just an inconvenience.
I get what you are saying...but 4A is basically AWD. The ELSD diff won't be as active front to back as side to side when in 2WD mode, because without drive going to the front, it is expected to have more differential. Turn on 4A and the behavior changes. It also does some fun math to average the Front, because the front is open.

Also you have 2017. The system is not as Sensitive, and the LSD in the 15-17 was a mechanical clutch based system, you won't have this issue. The ELSD in the 18+ is an AMAZING system. Our 15 and 17 were beasts in inclement weather and snow, but our 2020 with 22's and street rubber was just as good in snow, because of 4A, and the ELSD. It just does it. With that added ability and speed of wheel speed correction, comes some additional headache. Off road the system can overheat, but that has gotten better through the years also with improved internals, and better programming.