Engine choices?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I got rid of my 2019 and I see the 2024 have a couple of engine choices if that's correct for Limited Stealth edition - the 303A is the 400hp and 304A is 440?

d-rod

Reaction score
The Limited 304a and the Platinum have the 440HP high output motor.
Only the 304a Limited (aka Limited Stealth Performance) and Timberline has the 440HP "HO" engine. That engine requires 91 premium octane fuel.

The Platinum gets the non-HO engine, as does the Limited and King Ranch. The non-HO engine is rated 380HP with 87 octane and 400HP on 91 octane fuel.

The STX and XLT use 380HP on regular 87 octane for its marketing numbers.

The Limited (except 304a), King Ranch, and Platinum use the 400HP on 91 octane for its marketing numbers. This makes it seem "more premium" when in reality it's just the assumption of premium fuel used. The 380 & 400 HP engines are the exact same otherwise.

The "HO" 440HP engine has upgraded (more capable) turbo chargers which is the main source of the additional power potential.

d-rod

Reaction score
Only the 304a Limited (aka Limited Stealth Performance) and Timberline has the 440HP "HO" engine. That engine requires 91 premium octane fuel.

The Platinum gets the non-HO engine, as does the Limited and King Ranch. The non-HO engine is rated 380HP with 87 octane and 400HP on 91 octane fuel.

The Limited (except 304a), King Ranch, and Platinum use the 400HP on 91 octane for its marketing numbers. This makes it seem "more premium" when in reality it's just the assumption of premium fuel used. The 380 & 400 HP engines are the exact same otherwise.

The "HO" 440HP engine has upgraded (more capable) turbo chargers which is the main source of the additional power potential.
Forgot to add, I'm quite confident the non-HO actually produces more than 400HP when fed premium fuel, it's closer to 415HP.

Automakers are allowed to under-report performance numbers. I suspect Ford is doing that to maximize the perceived value difference of the "HO" engine used in the Stealth Performance and Timerbline (and the Raptor which is factored into this decision i'm sure)

mtrosclair

Reaction score

Does the HO engine require 91, or does it perform better on 91? Because the literature that came with the truck says 87. I have a 22' Timberline.

Last edited:

d-rod

Reaction score
Does the HO engine require 91, or does it perform better on 91? Because the literature that came with the truck says 87. I have a 22' Timberline.
For 2022+ years, HO can safety run on 87 or higher. A non-HO and HO are effectively equal in power on 87. No power gains are realized from the HO.

When on 91 (or 93), the non-HO turbo system becomes the limiting agent. The HO's system is able to push more volume of air before timing denotation becomes an issue. Frankly, those turbos are capable of more power but denotation becomes an issue since the 2022+'s use the same 10.5 CR pistons from the non-HO and the intercooler performance isn't the best, keeping charged air temps relatively high.

Things are a bit different in the 2018-2021 MYs. The HO uses 10.0 CR pistons instead. You get a bit more power of these on 87 compared to their non-HO peers. But overall fuel efficiency is lower, whereas the 2022+ HO's do not take an efficiency difference. It's also worth mentioning this era of HO has some internal improvements to piston oil spray, some gallery improvements, and a handful of other items that help longevity. In 2022+ models, these became standard on the non-HO.

I'm a 2022 Platinum Max owner now but recently had a 2020 Limited Max that I had tuned.

mtrosclair

Reaction score
For 2022+ years, HO can safety run on 87 or higher. A non-HO and HO are effectively equal in power on 87. No power gains are realized from the HO.

When on 91 (or 93), the non-HO turbo system becomes the limiting agent. The HO's system is able to push more volume of air before timing denotation becomes an issue. Frankly, those turbos are capable of more power but denotation becomes an issue since the 2022+'s use the same 10.5 CR pistons from the non-HO and the intercooler performance isn't the best, keeping charged air temps relatively high.

Things are a bit different in the 2018-2021 MYs. The HO uses 10.0 CR pistons instead. You get a bit more power of these on 87 compared to their non-HO peers. But overall fuel efficiency is lower, whereas the 2022+ HO's do not take an efficiency difference. It's also worth mentioning this era of HO has some internal improvements to piston oil spray, some gallery improvements, and a handful of other items that help longevity. In 2022+ models, these became standard on the non-HO.

I'm a 2022 Platinum Max owner now but recently had a 2020 Limited Max that I had tuned.
So with 87, am I making 440 hp? Or what would my actual numbers be?

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you only ever are actually making 400 or 440 or whatever HP for a very short period at max throttle at high RPM. It might make a difference doing 0-100 MPH drag runs or whatever, but for normal driving, you'll never see that sort of power output. and if you do drive at max throttle frequently, you will greatly shorten the life of your engine, transmission, drive shafts and differentials and suspension components, as you're stressing everything to the max

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Platinum puts out max hp of 400 using 87 octane gas. We Dyno tested an XLT and a Platinum to see the difference. There is a noticeable difference between the 2 and a noticeable difference when using 91 to 93 octane fuel. However, as stated, it's not worth using the extra octane unless you are pushing the vehicle. I use 87 octane, unless maybe towing. And because of the design of the turbo system, the increase in mileage was minimal during normal driving. I'm lucky and get great gas mileage, on 87 octane, while others have complained, and I still have all the torque I want when I step on the gas, especially in sport mode. My mileage, in normal mode, is 18mpg city, as high as 28.6mpg on a long trip on the highway going 65mph. I actually got more than that, (29.9 highway flat road), on our last trip to Georgia using eco mode. But the loss in performance was not worth the extra 1mpg gain.