Engine choices?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Platinum puts out max hp of 400 using 87 octane gas. We Dyno tested an XLT and a Platinum to see the difference. There is a noticeable difference between the 2 and a noticeable difference when using 91 to 93 octane fuel. However, as stated, it's not worth using the extra octane unless you are pushing the vehicle. I use 87 octane, unless maybe towing. And because of the design of the turbo system, the increase in mileage was minimal during normal driving. I'm lucky and get great gas mileage, on 87 octane, while others have complained, and I still have all the torque I want when I step on the gas, especially in sport mode. My mileage, in normal mode, is 18mpg city, as high as 28.6mpg on a long trip on the highway going 65mph. I actually got more than that, (29.9 highway flat road), on our last trip to Georgia using eco mode. But the loss in performance was not worth the extra 1mpg gain.

What model year(s) you tested with? I think d-rod mentioned the non-high-output engines are same starting from model year 2022.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What model year(s) you tested with? I think d-rod mentioned the non-high-output engines are same starting from model year 2022.
2022 XLT, 2022 Platinum
From Ford:
2018 - 375hp, 2019 - 375hp, 2020 - 375hp, 2021 - 375hp, 2022 - 380hp, 2023 - 380hp, 2024 - 380hp
Options 400hp and 440hp on certain models.

mtrosclair

Reaction score
~380HP - same as an XLT.

You need premium fuel to make use of your upgraded turbos. Otherwise they're constrained.
I cannot imagine there is a 60hp difference from one fuel to another? For 2022 was it only the base and HO? Or are there actually three versions (380,400 and 440)?

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I cannot imagine there is a 60hp difference from one fuel to another? For 2022 was it only the base and HO? Or are there actually three versions (380,400 and 440)?

If non-high-output engines are made exactly same, I don't see any reason why they can produce 380 and 400 hp respectively, with the same 87 fuel. So, the question is what the differences are between XLT engines and Limited (without 304 pkg) engines?

Last edited:

mtrosclair

Reaction score
If non-high-output engines are made exactly same, I don't see any reason why they can produce 380 and 400 hp respectively, with the same 87 fuel. So, the question is what the differences are between XLT engines and Limited (without 304 pkg) engines?
I test drove a limited and an XLT in addition to my Timberline which I ended up purchasing. The Timberline was noticeably faster which was part of what sold me in this one. So I don't know that I buy into the fact that it's "only" making 380 hp on 87 octane fuel. I would really be curious to see some dyno numbers on these.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If non-high-output engines are made exactly same, I don't see any reason why they can produce 385 and 400 hp respectively, with the same 87 fuel. So, the question is what the differences are between XLT engines and Limited (without 304 pkg) engines?
Tuning to adjust ignition timing, fuel injector pulse, fuel rail pressure, etc., to gain more torque and horsepower. You can take a 375hp Ford V6 EcoBoost engine and get over the 440hp. Search for custom tuning.
I have no use for it, as my Platinum is a luxury vehicle not a muscle car and I'm not racing it. Besides I don't want to be forced to use a higher-octane gas. However, several users have used custom tuning to get the maximum torque and horsepower out of their vehicles.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Platinum puts out max hp of 400 using 87 octane gas. We Dyno tested an XLT and a Platinum to see the difference. There is a noticeable difference between the 2 and a noticeable difference when using 91 to 93 octane fuel. However, as stated, it's not worth using the extra octane unless you are pushing the vehicle. I use 87 octane, unless maybe towing. And because of the design of the turbo system, the increase in mileage was minimal during normal driving. I'm lucky and get great gas mileage, on 87 octane, while others have complained, and I still have all the torque I want when I step on the gas, especially in sport mode. My mileage, in normal mode, is 18mpg city, as high as 28.6mpg on a long trip on the highway going 65mph. I actually got more than that, (29.9 highway flat road), on our last trip to Georgia using eco mode. But the loss in performance was not worth the extra 1mpg gain.
We see almost exactly as you do.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My mileage, in normal mode, is 18mpg city
Question. Is this with the auto stop/start feature on? Also, is this real inner city driving, many stop & go's re lights etc (Think urban/metro type cities)

I get about 13 mpg city driving (alot of stop and go, with auto stop/start feature OFF)

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
fun fact, Ford put the the 3.5L Ecoboost into the Ford GT, same heads, same block as the F150 version we have in our Expeditions.... upgraded cams, pistons, rods, crank, bigger turbos, alloy intake manifold, dry sump oil system, etc, etc.. and got 660 horsepower out of it. A track-only GT MK2 got 700HP.