Expy/lightning issues - Round 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Had some time today so I pulled the drivers side valve cover. No easy task on this!!

Found about what I expected. That's is nothing due to the intermittent nature of it and it only doing it while hot. No signs of broken springs, bad followers or lash adjusters. Debating where to go from here.

Could theoritically set it up to run without the valve cover present but would be a pita as I would have to assemble and disassemble again just to re-install valve cover. Bit worried about getting oil everywhere while she is running not to mention exposing the crankcase to dust, pollen, etc.... But if it was a rocker, lash adjuster, maybe even valve guide I may be able to see or pinpoint it easier with valve cover removed.

One thing I did notice is while cranking the timing chain tensioner on that side is very active. It moves in and out quite dramatically. I can only assume this is normal but have no real evidence to tell me one way or the other.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could get a clear valve cover! But not really worth hassle most likely. It will be a real bummer if it ends up having to come out. Can you tell if all of the upper assembly on that side is getting oiled from the ports?

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Actually looks very good with no signs of heat, scratches, wear marks, etc... Nothing abnormal. Looks just as it did when it was put together.

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I have begun the enormous task of cleaning my garage!! It's a disaster :eek:

Need to do so if I plan to pull my motor. Right now no room to work on it if pulled. :(

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Progress. I can now walk through my garage without tripping over something! :Big Laugh: