Ford notified me NEW Sync 3 firmware update is available

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It appears Ford falls behind when it comes to updating firmware on older models.
I was just notified by Ford that there is a new SYNC 3 firmware update available.
So, I went to the website to get it and the "website shows" I currently have SYNC Version3.0.20204 and the new update is 3.0.23219.
Funny thing is I already have 3.4.23188 installed thanks to Cyan Labs. My 2021 Explorer received the 3.4.23188 notification.
I wish Ford would stay more up to date with their older models.

Last edited:

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I received notice of an update too. I haven't done it yet because I just haven't had the time. Not sure what version I have, or what version update it is without looking. I'd really like to know what's being updated before I do it.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It appears Ford falls behind when it comes to updating firmware on older models. I was just notified by Ford that there is a new SYNC 3 firmware update available. So, I went to the website to get it and the website shows I currently have SYNC Version3.0.20204 and the new update is 3.0.23219. Funny thing is I already have 3.4.23188 installed thanks to Cyan Labs. My 2021 Explorer received the 3.4.23188 notification. I wish Ford would stay more up to date with their older models.
Ford would not know you updated at Cyan Labs. I disabled over-the-air updates and instead use the USB stick method of downloading and updating my SYNC 3. The final step is uploading the results of the update to the Ford Owner Website. This is the way Ford keeps track of the version you have. My version is 3.4.23188, and the website does not show any updates pending.

OP
OP
Mr Big

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford would not know you updated at Cyan Labs. I disabled over-the-air updates and instead use the USB stick method of downloading and updating my SYNC 3. The final step is uploading the results of the update to the Ford Owner Website. This is the way Ford keeps track of the version you have. My version is 3.4.23188, and the website does not show any updates pending.
I disabled mine as well and use a USB drive for my updates.
And how did you go about updating your firmware version results to the Ford Website?

aalbert

Reaction score
Do they have release notes somewhere for the various versions... A google of the new version basically shows that it deletes the rear view camera continuing to display once you shift it into Drive.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I couldn't get that XML file to work, it just opened in a browser as unformatted HTML like output, instead of doing whatever update with Ford's mothership.

2020-MAX-Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I couldn't get that XML file to work, it just opened in a browser as unformatted HTML like output, instead of doing whatever update with Ford's mothership.
Correct, your computer doesn't know what to do with the XML file, but the Ford website does. The instructions are not clear, but you have to go back to the Ford Owner Website where you downloaded the update file and with your USB stick in the computer there is a button / file selection box to send your XML file back to Ford. It's been awhile since I last updated my SYNC3, so I don't remember exactly what the screen looks like.