Front Heater Core Bypass - 1st Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krdayson

Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently became an Expedition owner and within days the front heater core started leaking. I'm going to bypass the core as I don't need the heat, but was just looking for a sanity check. The coolant flow diagram in the sticky was super helpful and am just looking to confirm that I should be connecting hoses 1 & 2 (as I added in yellow in the diagram).

What if I wanted to bypass both front and back? Can that be done with one bypass or would the front and back need to be done separately?

Thank you

Attachments

• Bypass Front Heater Core.jpg
    Bypass Front Heater Core.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
K

krdayson

Reaction score
Thanks. So when looking at the diagram, to bypass the front it would be to the right of the T connector, to bypass both it would be to the left of the T connector and to do the back only, the bypass would be below the T connectors.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the bypass would be below the T connectors.
correct.

FRONT: 2 hoses at fire wall
REAR: 2 hoses at T connector that disappear together headed for the back

(For front and rear bypass)
The last 2 hoses that are on the T connector is where your bypass goes, from one to the other.

OP
OP
K

krdayson

Reaction score
Just a heads up that for those attempting a front heater core bypass, it is tight getting your hand up near the firewall. Rather than try and disconnect the (not so) quick disconnects, I used a razor blade to cut both hoses. Small hands would be very helpful getting in there. There is a ground wire connected to the fire wall that can partially obstruct your reach, so I ended up disconnecting it to try and create some space. I also purchased a bypass kit for the repair. Both hoses use the 5/8 connector. Be patient/persistent getting the bypass on and use a little lubricant on the connectors to help slot them in place.