Fuel pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jvmagic

Reaction score
Hi,

My 99' Expedition (2wd; 199k miles) seems to have a failed fuel pump. Anyway, I dropped the tank and have it ready to replace the fuel pump.
I'm ready to sell this SUV as I really have no need for it (kids are grown). It's not practical as a daily driver (15mpg) as much as I love this thing.
My question is whether to purchase an 'economy' fuel pump or otherwise. See this link for options. Would it be ok to purchase the $45~ fuel pump (asking in case I keep this SUV for another yr or so)?

Thanks in advance.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My 99' Expedition (2wd; 199k miles) seems to have a failed fuel pump. Anyway, I dropped the tank and have it ready to replace the fuel pump.
I'm ready to sell this SUV as I really have no need for it (kids are grown). It's not practical as a daily driver (15mpg) as much as I love this thing.
My question is whether to purchase an 'economy' fuel pump or otherwise. See this link for options. Would it be ok to purchase the $45~ fuel pump (asking in case I keep this SUV for another yr or so)?

Thanks in advance.

Do some digging, I would either purchase Motorcaft or find out who the OE maker is and purchase it from them. AirTex was a lot of OE equipment for ford but not sure on fuel pump.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with Stamp, either buy the Motorcraft one or the top shelf Bosch. Either way it's $200.00 plus even from Rock Auto. It's not a job you want to do twice. What's your time worth? It's a 2-3 hour job for a novice at home. Why make it 6 hours, and have to tow your SUV home.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Even if you plan on quickly selling the beast, you have the chance of that $40 Chinese crap biting you after a week. Then what? That cheap stuff is notorious for quality control problems. Some are great, some last a week, some are busted out of the box.

I think I'd go for the most economical name brand if I were selling the car. Carter, AirTex... Can probably bag one for $90 or so and be assured that it'll last at least until you sell with no problems.

If I was keeping the car, I wouldn't think twice: it would be Motorcraft.

I find that the cheapest of the cheap simply doesn't work at all or works half-way and ALWAYS causes me more work and misery than my cheapness saves.

Last edited: