Gotts Mod question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supermario

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello, Im about to do the Gotts mod to my 97 Expy but i wanted to know what type of PVC piping you use, becus the stuff Ive looked at is very hard and thick (home depot plumping). Can you and or have any of you guys used a flexible pvc type of cylinder for the Gotts mod?

Also, is doing this Mod the same as buying a Cold Air Intake setup? Or would the CAI be a better setup, of course for alot more $$.

And can the Gotts mod be used in conjuction with a CAI?

Thanks any info would be appreciated. I need Air :D I feel like my Expy is starving for air when i step on it. I already have a k&n air filter element.

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello, Im about to do the Gotts mod to my 97 Expy but i wanted to know what type of PVC piping you use, becus the stuff Ive looked at is very hard and thick (home depot plumping). Can you and or have any of you guys used a flexible pvc type of cylinder for the Gotts mod?

Also, is doing this Mod the same as buying a Cold Air Intake setup? Or would the CAI be a better setup, of course for alot more $$.

And can the Gotts mod be used in conjuction with a CAI?

Thanks any info would be appreciated. I need Air :D I feel like my Expy is starving for air when i step on it. I already have a k&n air filter element.

I used a 3 inch piece of schedule 80, should have used schedule 40 for less grinding, but with a rotozip it was fairly easy.

Some will argue that the cai is better, but cold air coming from the fender with the Gotts Mod is colder air than a CAI kit that is under the hood with hotter air.

It does make a difference when you do the mod, the truck does accel better, make sure you disconnect the battery so the truck can relearn everything with the new set up and extra air that it will be taking in or it may not run right if you don't reset the battery.

Try to clean your maf sensor everytime you recharge your k&n air filter for best performance as well, if oil from over oiling gets on the sensor or the sensor gets dirty, the truck can act up.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well really the gotts mod has done better on dynos... but a CAI looks better... but the gotts actually gets cold air while the CAI such as K&N actually get warmer air from the motor... so it is your preference

OP
OP
S

supermario

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Forgive me for my igonorance but where did you get schedule 80 or 40? I never heard of that? :eek:

And thank both of you guys for answering my questions. I prefer function over looks, so I am going to do the gotts mod. It seems to make more sense with the cold Air.

I used a 3 inch piece of schedule 80, should have used schedule 40 for less grinding, but with a rotozip it was fairly easy.

Some will argue that the cai is better, but cold air coming from the fender with the Gotts Mod is colder air than a CAI kit that is under the hood with hotter air.

It does make a difference when you do the mod, the truck does accel better, make sure you disconnect the battery so the truck can relearn everything with the new set up and extra air that it will be taking in or it may not run right if you don't reset the battery.

Try to clean your maf sensor everytime you recharge your k&n air filter for best performance as well, if oil from over oiling gets on the sensor or the sensor gets dirty, the truck can act up.

fraziarwp

Reaction score
What you want is schedule 40. Easier to install. Any of the large hardwares carries 3 inch schedule 40 pipe. Thin wall drain pipe is perfect.

I made the same mistake. I used schedule 80 pipe. Required lots of grinding.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CAI use aluminum which a great conductor of heat from the engine. PVC not so great heat conductor. Gotts mod will get you better performance and save you money compared to a CIA.

OP
OP
S

supermario

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool. Did you guys just use hose clamps or did you actually mend it together with epoxy? Or is it best to use both? Thanks again.

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cool. Did you guys just use hose clamps or did you actually mend it together with epoxy? Or is it best to use both? Thanks again.

I used hose clamps, never know if you have to take it apart in the future to get at anything else, my opinion at least.