Hello - Need Troubleshooting Ideas for Problem with my Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tawstuart

Reaction score
Hi! I have a 2011 Expedition. A few nights ago I was driving - heard a loud pop - then it sounded like a jack hammer was under my hood.

I had it towed as the car was acting strange and getting louder with the engine light on. The shop says it is a spark plug issue and will require the engine to be removed to get to the area.

It will be $2k to fix. Any ideas as to how to address?

Thanks!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi! I have a 2011 Expedition. A few nights ago I was driving - heard a loud pop - then it sounded like a jack hammer was under my hood.

I had it towed as the car was acting strange and getting louder with the engine light on. The shop says it is a spark plug issue and will require the engine to be removed to get to the area.

Thanks!

What type of spark plug issue?

Why does the engine have to be removed?

What repairs will be done for the $2,000.00?

JerryT

Reaction score

Thanks!
Sounds like something much more serious than a spark plug issue. Ask your mechanic again and get a better explanation of the problem.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
A. What type of spark plug issue?

B. Why does the engine have to be removed?

C. What repairs will be done for the $2,000.00?
A) I'm not a mechanic by any means, but am fairly knowledgeable of how IC engines work, and the only spark plug issue I know of that would make that sound is if one just basically exploded from the inside out....now that WOULD make a very loud sound indeed..as well as cause significant damage to the insides of the cylinder if the engine continued to run afterward.... however, a failing coil pack could also make a loud sound too..

B) If the shop says the engine needs to be removed JUST to replace a spark plug, then either:

1) They have a legitimate reason to believe it was damaged during the incident, or
2) They're out their friggin mind and don't know what they're doing, even though there are a few hoses/tubes that need to be disconnected/moved out of the way to get the rear plugs, or
3) They believe they've found a sucker who they can rip off big time....

I'm leanin towards either #2 or #3....

Now let me explain how I know this...

A) I also own a 011 EL Limited that is due for new coil packs & plugs
B) 2 local ford dealers quoted me $860-900 for the job last week, including all new Ford/Motorcraft parts, and had no problem explaining exactly what would be involved to get 'er done....
C) My other trusted shop of 10+ years quoted me $520 last week for the same job (all labor) if I buy/bring the parts, and they concurred on what needed to be removed to make it happen....

But as always, YMMV, and you gotta go with your gut feelings on this matter, so good luck & please post back here with the results if you can.. :D

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thanks!
A plug may have blown out. Whatever you do, have the boots replaced along with the spark plugs. The boot kit includes a spring which makes contact with the coil and spark plug. I paid Ford $900 to change my plugs and they did not bother to change the boots.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From your description, it sounds like the spark plug has blown out. The question is did it come out and bring the thread with it (you will need a helicoil fitting, or did it just work loose and thread out? You need to ask your mechanic. A new thread can be fitted with the head in place (it’s not the best way to do it, but is a lot cheaper than removing the head, but difficult to do, due to the lack of space around the engine) and then you fit a new spark plug and carry on.. as stated earlier, you really need a better explanation of what exactly has failed.. 2011 models are not known for spitting out spark plugs! The spark plugs usually break when you try to change them on a 2011!!

Last edited:

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
you will need a helicoil fitting
@tawstuart
Second the heli-coil option.
This is not a job for just some shop down the street.
Really should be a trusted mechanic or dealer to do the correct procedures needed to keep debris out of your engine.

Amazon has a kit you can buy.
It is not that hard of a job if you have the right tools.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
I paid Ford $900 to change my plugs and they did not bother to change the boots...
Then you my friend got severely ripped off in a BIG way....especially considering that a set of OEM Ford plugs only cost ~$125-150... and as I stated before, 2 dealers near me quoted me a similar price that INCLUDED the coil packs/boots/plugs
2011 models are no known for spitting out spark plugs! The spark plugs usually break when you try to change them!!
^^THIS^^

This is the 1st time I have heard of any Expy, 011 included, to blow out plugs, assuming that nothing else was wrong that would have caused it to happen, which I'm not sure what that would have been (severe electrical short/malfunction ?)

But I have read a few stories of them breaking when attempting to remove/change them, which could happen with practically any vehicle though....

Anarak

Reaction score
I second the spark plug blow out. It was a common problem on 1st and 2nd gen Expys. Had one blow on my old 2004. It brought the threads with it. They have increased the number of usable thread from the 3rd gen forward, but does not preclude this from being a problem. The loud bang and progressive song worsening sound just like it. The repair kit will work well if done properly and cleanly. But asking a shop to do it may be about $2-3k. Removing the engine seems excessive since the plug openings are on the top. Mine blew the 8th cylinder so it was hard to work around and would have been easier if I took off the top end. You should be able to see the opening if it blew out, or it will at least be loose enough to move by hand. Hope you have good luck with it!