Hellwig Front Bushing Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

image98

Reaction score
Experienced a similar situation after 6 months of driving my 2019 4x4 Limited Stealth with both the front and rear Hellwig sway bars installed. Replaced the front bushings with Energy Suspension Polyurethane 1-7/16 #9.5175G. Has serviceable grease fittings. No more clunk after first test drive.

IMG_3840.JPGIMG_3841.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Experienced a similar situation after 6 months of driving my 2019 Limited Stealth with both the front and rear Hellwig sway bars installed. Replaced the front bushings with Energy Suspension Polyurethane 1-7/16 #9.5175G. Has serviceable grease fittings. No more clunk after first test drive.

View attachment 72593View attachment 72594

The bracket appears to be a better fit than the Prothane model that I got.

I think this is that largest Energy Suspension greaseable model that is made.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have to ask. Are these mushy cornering complaints on 4X4's? I noticed a lot of pia motion on a 2W Expy we test drove. The one we purchased has been fairly solid with no issues.

image98

Reaction score
Have to ask. Are these mushy cornering complaints on 4X4's? I noticed a lot of pia motion on a 2W Expy we test drove. The one we purchased has been fairly solid with no issues.
I wouldn't call it mushy cornering, but I definitely noticed a bobble type ride where the car would bounce with a few rebounds if one side of the car went over something like a pot hole. The effect seemed to be amplified at highway speeds. My 2019 4x4 stealth has the 22" rims and low profile tires, so the ride wasn't soft, but I had passengers comment on the bobble ride quality so I knew it just wasn't me. Once I swapped the front stock sway bar (which is hollow) with the Hellwig, the bobble effect was eliminated and cornering improved. Hellwig is reputable, so I was a bit surprised and disappointed by the quality (or lack of thereof) when it came to their bushings and brackets. I replaced the OEM end-links with MOOG units (which are also have grease fittings). Adding the rear sway bar improved cornering even more. It also improves ride quality when towing in my opinion. It seems there are a lot of different feedback regarding the ride quality, but also probably depends on how each Expedition is equipped.

IMG_2663.jpegIMG_2666.jpegIMG_4212.jpeg

Last edited:

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep. It was the bobble head back forth crap that I couldn’t stand. Mine is a short length 4X4 platinum.
If you went over a bump on one side, you could see everyone’s head bob back and forth…… and back and forth… and back and forth…. Uggh.

I hated iT. And was close to just selling it, until I heard others recommending stiffer sway bars.
I also, have the Hellwig bars and Moog end links. Front and back.

I’ve had techs at the Ford Stealership tell me how much better it felt when they test-drove it. And with 18” wheels and tires with real side wall, it feels taut and controllable, but the sidewalls still absorb the small bumps. Basically the way Ford should have sold it to begin with … but you know… 22” bling and all.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great bushing finds guys! Mine are squeaking and the fronts are banging. I ordered a set of the Energy Suspension bushings to hopefully help! I hate the noise, but I absolutely refused to take the Hellwig bars off, because I can't imaging driving that factory bobble-head sway boat ever again. My wife even said, I'll take that banging noise over driving the swaying titanic! lol

Again, thanks for the bushing info! :)

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great bushing finds guys! Mine are squeaking and the fronts are banging. I ordered a set of the Energy Suspension bushings to hopefully help! I hate the noise, but I absolutely refused to take the Hellwig bars off, because I can't imaging driving that factory bobble-head sway boat ever again. My wife even said, I'll take that banging noise over driving the swaying titanic! lol

Again, thanks for the bushing info! :)
I did the opposite and put my factory bars back on. The squeaking was driving me crazy and I got tired of greasing the bushings every few months. I definitely miss the handling of the Hellwig bars, but at least the ride is quiet! I have the base suspension (not CCD) and the head-bobbing is there but not horrible. If the Energy Suspension bushings solve everyone's problems I might switch back to the Hellwigs. I hope some of you update this thread in a few months with good news!

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I received replacement bushings from Hellwig last week for the front due to the clunking noise. The clunk is gone now. I did notice that the rubber on the new bushing seems stiffer than the original Hellwig bushing.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I managed to put the Energy suspension units on today, and a couple things I noticed. Both of the zerks were cross-threaded. Managed to get them to work by pulling them out and cranking them back in. I also noticed that I think these bushings are probably 1/8 to 3/16 inches too small of inner diameter. At least for me, when put around the bar, the insertion gap in the slot was at least 1/8". This of course closed when I cranked them down a lot but I'm concerned that this much resistance may actually cause them to wear down faster than they should.

we'll see if they are any better, but hope so.