Help I'd front wheel rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TUSGJP

Reaction score
2011 Expy, just replaced struts, tie rod and ball joints. Did not replace upper control arm ball joint. I had a rattle coming out of drivers side wheel area before and after work was done. This sounds like a rattle paint can when I hit a bump. Any ideas? Perhaps wheel bearing? I took it to 2 different garages
First one couldn't hear rattle, second garage said all suspension parts are tight and good.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2WD or 4WD? If 4WD, it could be the IWEs, vacuum line, or vacuum solenoid. It could also be the wheel bearings.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a very similar experience with the sway bar links on mine. It took me a couple months to figure it out. Never felt any play in them when I checked, but they are always under tension. Once I pulled one it was obvious they were worn out. The noise was unlike anything I had experienced before, but these sway bar links are not like my previous vehicles either.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you certain it's coming from the wheel area? There is an exhaust heat shield just behind that wheel that is just barely welded to the exhaust. The weld on mine broke loose back in 2015 and it was rattling like a MF. I put a worm drive clamp on there and no more rattle. A few weeks ago there was a rattle again. I had forgotten about the heat shield until I climbed under there and saw the clamp I put on had broken. New clamp, no more rattle.

MickBS

Reaction score
WAITING !!! - I have the same issue in 2017 and the mechanic and I are stumped. Please keep us in the loop.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i've got a hollow clunking noise coming from the front end when I have it in 2H. The noise goes away in 4A or 4H. I'm thinking it's the IWEs or CV axles, but haven't gone much further with it. I'm keeping it in 4A to keep everything quiet.

OP
OP
T

TUSGJP

Reaction score
I'm taking it to the stealership to have it diagnosed. Also when I put it in 4wd low I get a message saying check 4wd. So I'm thinking it could be the IWE

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoodemoot