Help! Neutral tow possible when no start no dashboard???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aspegicus

Reaction score
Hi

got a serious issue. My expy 4WD 2015 wouldn’t start, no dashboard lights, no crank. Just AC, hazards, and radio Likely electric/electronic or shorting issue.

How can I have it towed by AAA without accessing the dashboard and transmission through the menus (neutral tow mode)? Again no dashboard!

Is there is a manual way to switch the transmission to neutral on my 2015 4WD expy?

Thanks a lot

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi

got a serious issue. My expy 4WD 2015 wouldn’t start, no dashboard lights, no crank. Just AC, hazards, and radio Likely electric/electronic or shorting issue.

How can I have it towed by AAA without accessing the dashboard and transmission through the menus (neutral tow mode)? Again no dashboard!

Is there is a manual way to switch the transmission to neutral on my 2015 4WD expy?

Thanks a lot

Did you read the towing section in your vehicle owner’s manual?

Attachments

• B498158F-4920-40CA-A7CE-FB1032CEC0FD.jpeg
    B498158F-4920-40CA-A7CE-FB1032CEC0FD.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 36EDC7BB-3A98-4007-B284-7191C597EF0C.jpeg
    36EDC7BB-3A98-4007-B284-7191C597EF0C.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
A

aspegicus

Reaction score
Yes I did and tried. However because I have no dashboard, and no sound indicating the neutral position is reached (after switch from 2H to 4L 5 times) I can’t tell if the car reached is in neutral or not. Guess I will have to wait for the towing truck and try.

Newbie Question : if the car transmission is engaged is it still possible to load it onto a tow truck?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I did and tried. However because I have no dashboard, and no sound indicating the neutral position is reached (after switch from 2H to 4L 5 times) I can’t tell if the car reached is in neutral or not. Guess I will have to wait for the towing truck and try.

Newbie Question : if the car transmission is engaged is it still possible to load it onto a tow truck?

I have seen tow truck operators drag a vehicle onto a flatbed but I would be worried about unseen damage.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Get some jugs of water and dawn dishwashing liquid and splash under the tires as they drag up the ramp. Do same at drop off.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A good tow service should have some go Jack's or the like for loading broke vehicles. Worth a call to ask

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many moons (and careers) ago I towed a LOT of vehicles that were in park and without keys (trespass tows, repossessions). Not one that I recall was ever damaged as a result of dragging onto a flatbed. I will admit using a less than ecologically friendly method to assist in unloading them, diesel fuel. Dish soap would have been more responsible.

Rossome

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks a lot
Hi, I don't have this exact vehicle or transmission, but I may be able to help you. This should be the 6R transmission which is based on the ZF 6HP26 and built under license by Ford. I have a ZF 8 speed transmission (electronic) in my 2014 BMW and there is a bolt on the bottom of it to manually put the car into neutral. You just crawl under there and tighten the bolt up and it mechanically takes your car out of park. According to this video it's a 5mm Allen to do the job