I think my expedition may about to die

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaxSoszko

Reaction score
My expo might be about to die there is a real bad knocking coming from the engine and the oil pressure gauge is jumping around everywhere will go to low then to normal then back again

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Thats not good! :mad: Did anything preceed this or did it happen out of the blue? From your desciption my first guess would be rod knock, maybe a spun bearing?

I would check to make sure you dont have a spark plug ready to eject itself..... but usually that is accompanied by the sound of an exhaust leak and doesnt seem to fit your description.

Where are you located? I will have a spare 5.4 engine soon.:hmm:

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds like you have spun a bearing.... drop the oil and cut open the oil filter for signs of metal

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah what they said... loud knocking is never good.... but I would start with what KWT said to give you a starting point...

OP
OP
MaxSoszko

MaxSoszko

Reaction score
ok thanks for the info

and toms89 im in Illinois and i think if this engine goes either i will get something diesel for work or i would drop a supercharged mustang motor in the expedition
:beatdeadhorse5:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
or a 5.4 stroker. had to find, but not to many people have them. but i want to do a lightning swap now that i see so many doing it and its easy to do with the right tools.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Max, it is possible you have a bad valve seal and that is causing you to burn oil (may not see the blue cloud coming out the rear of the truck complements of the cats) mixed with a stuck lifter. I have fought this very problem with my truck and found the bad seal along with a lifter that did not want to maintain the proper tension on the lifter. New valve seals and a new lifter fixed things with no negative effects. Granted, as soon as I noticed the oil pressure bobble, I happened to be near a parts store and immediately checked the oil level and found it really low. IN my case, the lifter noise had been there for a little bit, but the oil seal issue popped up almost overnight.