I'm about to do something stupid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bb37

Reaction score
I've owned about 26 different cars in 47 years of car ownership. Eleven of them have been Fords. Two of them have been Expeditions: a 2002 XLT 4WD 5.4 that I bought used and drove about 90k miles and a 2015 XLT 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost that I bought new and drove 100k miles.

I traded the 2015 on a 2023 Dodge Durango R/T 5.7 HEMI. The Durango is a fun vehicle, but there are things that I'm beginning to dislike about it. This has lead me to start thinking about Expeditions again, specifically new 2024 models. Having seen the photos and video of the 2025 Expedition, I think the split tailgate is a good idea, but the dashboard looks hideous. There are several 2024 Expeditions on dealer lots in my area, so I just might take the plunge this fall. The "stupid" part of this is that I'm going to take a bath on the Durango as the resale value is not very good.

After reading "stuff" on social media, I have some questions about the 2024 models:

1. The 10-speed transmission. Has the CDF drum issue been resolved? I understand that there may still be some software issues affecting shift quality, but the CDF drum issue is very concerning.

2. Cam phasers. I've seen comments online that Ford has developed new cam phasers for the 3.5 Ecoboost. Approximately when did Ford switch over to the new phasers?

3. The 15.5 inch "tablet" display. I'm not a fan. But, I'm having a hard time finding an Expedition Limited non-Max that doesn't have it. The one negative that I keep hearing is that it takes multiple touches to adjust the HVAC temperature: one touch to activate the slider, then another touch to move the slider. Is that true? If it is true, I think I'd rather have discrete buttons.

4. 3.73 ELSD. Obviously, the ELSD would be an advantage in slippery conditions. My 2011 F-150 had it, but my 2015 Expedition didn't. Can't say I had a problem getting around in snow or mud with either one. My gut tells me that the 3.73 final drive would hurt fuel economy. How much?

Anything else I should worry about?

Some of the dealers I'm watching may be getting nervous about the 2024 Expeditions they have on the lot. I found one Limited with 304A that is being advertised at $8000 off sticker. Very tempting.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are moving in the right direction! I can attest to the tablet screen HVAC controls are dangerous and foolishly thought out/designed. I hoped Ford would have fixed it by now. I read on these forums that there is a new Sync 4a update 5.1.1 that allows the volume wheel on the tablet to be used to adjust the temp settings etc, but I have not been able to download that update...another Ford issue that is poorly designed. Futile to bring to dealer since they will tell you to "just download it".

Good luck. I will be watching this thread.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
I found one Limited with 304A that is being advertised at $8000 off sticker. Very tempting.
wow, a WHOLE 8-10% off on a $65-80K vehicle that is gathering dust while the '25's are on their way to the dealers....If you're really interested in it, I would offer 15-20% off and see what happens..they may just jump on it.. it's not like they're selling 10 Expy's every day after all :D

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. The 10-speed transmission. Has the CDF drum issue been resolved? I understand that there may still be some software issues affecting shift quality, but the CDF drum issue is very concerning.
Jury is still out on this one. Many of us have the upgraded part, but it's too soon to tell. Some have the upgraded part and problems have returned.

2. Cam phasers. I've seen comments online that Ford has developed new cam phasers for the 3.5 Ecoboost. Approximately when did Ford switch over to the new phasers?
About two years ago. I just passed 2 years of ownership on my 2019 and it had the phaser rattle when I bought it. I took it from one dealership straight to my local dealership and dropped it off. It got the upgraded part at that time. I've now doubled the mileage it had and no issues. Seems not a lot complaining about the problem coming back with the newer part that I've seen.

3. The 15.5 inch "tablet" display. I'm not a fan. But, I'm having a hard time finding an Expedition Limited non-Max that doesn't have it. The one negative that I keep hearing is that it takes multiple touches to adjust the HVAC temperature: one touch to activate the slider, then another touch to move the slider. Is that true? If it is true, I think I'd rather have discrete buttons.
I thought this too, but then I realized, how often do you mess with the A/C? I set it and forget it, unless my wife messes with it, then I need to mess with it back when she gets out. If it's hard to find in the screens, perhaps she'll leave it alone? I mean, the only thing I'd mess with less is switching from mph to kph, and for some reason on mine Ford made that so easy to do it's possible to accidentally switch it. Dumb, should just bury that in a menu somewhere.

OP
OP
B

bb37

Reaction score
I thought this too, but then I realized, how often do you mess with the A/C?
I had a 2020 Edge that had automatic temperature control. I found that there was too much "dead band" between heating and cooling. IOW, if the system was in heating mode and the temperature in the cabin increased, it would have to get pretty warm (my perception) before it switched to cooling. And, vice versa. As a result, I felt like I was adjusting the setpoint up and down a few degrees fairly frequently on moderate days.

OTOH, the automatic temperature control in the Durango seems to work pretty well. I leave it at 72 pretty much all the time.

Your point is well taken. Are there advantages to the 15.5" display that I might miss if I didn't have it?

Mack444

Reaction score
My transmission (~15k miles in a year owning a ‘22 Timberline) has been adequate, but like any auto has problems if you bury or float the pedal. Drive modes help with drive style, like sport mode really does get the shifting for a sport drive!

Big screen, big misses. It’s hard for me to reach the button I want to press on the screen without missing or sliding instead of tapping. I end up talking to it more than anything. Either Siri for CarPlay or ask sync to tune the radio, change the climate, and even adjust my seat heaters.

Good luck on pricing! I got lucky and found a Covid car without some chips that no one wanted to touch for over a year of sitting.

Samantha1

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2023 XLT that I special ordered and received in Jan., 2023, and currently have 35,400 miles on it. I have not had any transmission issues. I also have not had any other issues and am very happy with it! I've taken it on two long trips of approximately 7,000 - 8,000 mile each and it's wonderful on the road. It has the 3.73 non-limited slip (tow package) and I think the difference in gas mileage is negligible, of course driving habits play a big part in mpg's.
Samantha

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also be sure to do some "diligence" with respect to dealers and service stations around you. Here's my gripe on this point, Ford is selling vehicles that cost as much as BMW X5's and even lower model X7's. Granted, those don't have the same room and some of the features the higher priced expy's have, but the dealer and service experience for good friends of mine that own those get is night and day from what we get. I know, I just spent another 5.5 weeks without mine, it's going back tomorrow because the tech replaced the wrong front axle shaft, and I still have to take it back once the parts are available for the front seat belt recall. All that being said, I love driving this thing but when there are, and there will be issues, the service experience is terrible for cars that can be $80K+. I'm not claiming BMW's are any more reliable, or less, I'm just saying the impact on my life was painful and there's more to come. Funny part, they wanted my loaner to initially be an escape, then a ranger, but luckily I stood my ground and had an F150 and a 2024 expy. I will say, I found numerous issues in both of those vehicles while using them for loaners, so I'm not inclined to say the quality is any better.

i.e. look at this. I know, it's just trim, but for a vehicle to have just arrived at the dealer, had 4.2 Mi on it, and this is what you see when open the drivers door? There was black, greasy hand prints on the headliner in the back. The F150 blew a shock at less than 1k miles. WTAF?

I actually preferred the screen in the F150, it was far more functional but the expy was only an XLT so it had the more basic screen. The F150 was far more loaded, but again it was higher up, still had plenty of functional buttons, and was larger but not the giant TV sized screen.

I also know that folks on here with the Navi are getting better service, a little more akin to what I see on the nicer imports, but that insane. Additionally, I get that some folks have 3-20 cars and so being without one isn't a big deal, it is more a big deal for me.

Attachments

• PXL_20240831_195135243.jpg
    PXL_20240831_195135243.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20240831_195237160.jpg
    PXL_20240831_195237160.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bb37

Reaction score
Ford is not alone. The Durango I bought had sat on the lot for 3 months and nobody noticed a problem with the paint in the left rear door jamb area. Granted, not the first place someone looks when they approach a new vehicle, but I caught it right after the test drive.

The dealer promised to fix the paint, but then I played phone tag with them for three weeks trying to get the appointment set up. When it finally happened, they put me in a loaner that was under recall and couldn't be sold. Luckily, the loaner didn't burst into flames while I had it.

The problem with dealers is that they are starting to become a commodity...but they don't seem to realize it. The dealer where I bought the Durango _and_ my nearest Ford dealer are both part of a large conglomerate that have something like 200 dealers in 16 states. These dealerships use the same paperwork, have the same hiring practices, have the same access to financing, and their sales goals roll up to the Big Corporation. You may think you are visiting completely different dealerships, but they are all the same.