IWE and Front Wheel Locking Hubs rattling...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpyBillD

Reaction score
I have a 2007 EL Limited. After hitting 100K+ miles, experienced the issue in which the front wheels hubs would start to engage, without having to select any 4WD option, thereby creating a very obvious rattling sound. Sometimes very loud, sometimes a light rattling sound. After some research, found out it is a vacuum issue with the IWE solinoid which controls the locking feature of the front hubs when you engage 4A etc. As most know, the front wheels lock when in park and engine off and the IWE, using a vacuum, disengages them so you aren't driving in 4 WD unless you engage. After 4 trips to the shop, having the IWE replaced, new vacuum lines, the left fron hub replaced(where all the noise comes from), and the vacuum tested, the truck still, occasionally and mostly at the very beginning of driving after having been parked, will make the rattling sound which goes away after a few seconds. This doesn't happen for the rest of the drive. Why does this happen? Does it still need to be looked at again?

Last edited:

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bill,
I had the same problem as this on my 06 F150. Turned out it was the IWE solenoid. It had gotten water in it and caused it to lock up the passenger front hub on occasion. Ford replaced it under warranty and the new part had a water shield on it, so Ford must have had a few complaints and redesigned it.

Matt

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the Hub actuators and half shafts over greased? The gears maybe sticking to the halfshafts alittle longer, until they can work loose...