Just picked up a 2008 Limited... some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone, over the weekend my fiance and I picked up a fully loaded 2008 Limited. We traded in my 2010 Fusion SEL for it and got a pretty good deal I think.

Anyways without knowing much about the Expeditions I just went on gut reaction since I have owned a 2005 F-150 and numerous Explorers and Rangers in my day. Anyways on to my questions:

1.) It came with no headphones for the DVD player, can I use any IR headphones that I find or do they have to be specific to OEM or OEM knockoffs?
2.) All the windows go up and down REALLY slow, what can I do?
3.) Its got 66k miles on it, would you recommend switching to full synthetic oil on the next oil change?
4.) Someone put a coin in one of the front air vents and it wobbles sometimes (really its not that bad) but how hard would it be to take a part the dash?
5.) WTF is the "phone" button for on the head unit..... actually I answered that myself, nothing unless you have the "Ford Mobile Ease" accessory. Does anyone have this, how well does it work/integrate into the current system?

Thanks for any reply's, also here are some pictures:

427519_10101807956213074_2351561_78983906_2007847629_n.jpg

405847_10101807953308894_2351561_78983886_61488181_n.jpg

426424_10101807952340834_2351561_78983879_275933169_n.jpg

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off, welcome and congrats on your purchase. I have a 08 Limited that looks exactly like yours (fully loaded) except mines black.

1. Supposedly the aftermarket infared headphones will work with the stock rear DVD setup, there are a bunch on ebay that supposedly work and are cheap. Did you get the remote for it though?
2. Join the "Slow Window Club". You can take the door panels off and lube up the cable and tracks but they will never be super fast. Just an FYI also, they are alot slower in the cold weather.
3. I still use the OEM Ford 5W20 stuff so can't help you.
4. Do you know where in the vent system the coin is? Can you get one of those extendable magnet things and reach in to retrieve it? Taking the dash apart is a big job and I that would be a last resort if it were me.
5. "Phone" button was supposedly put there for future use. Even with the Moblie Ease accessory ( which I have ) it doesnt do anything. I do like the Mobile Ease intergration. It cuts right in when the radio is playing, mutes it, and puts it back on when I hang up. You can store numbers in it and dial by name and number. My only complaint is the controller piece is kinda bulky looking (not a fan of aftermarket stuff stuck to dash ) but it does illuminate the same as the factory stuff. I mounted mine between the AUX input and cigarette lighter.

Matt

OP
OP
spotdog14

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off, welcome and congrats on your purchase. I have a 08 Limited that looks exactly like yours (fully loaded) except mines black.

1. Supposedly the aftermarket infared headphones will work with the stock rear DVD setup, there are a bunch on ebay that supposedly work and are cheap. Did you get the remote for it though?
2. Join the "Slow Window Club". You can take the door panels off and lube up the cable and tracks but they will never be super fast. Just an FYI also, they are alot slower in the cold weather.
3. I still use the OEM Ford 5W20 stuff so can't help you.
4. Do you know where in the vent system the coin is? Can you get one of those extendable magnet things and reach in to retrieve it? Taking the dash apart is a big job and I that would be a last resort if it were me.
5. "Phone" button was supposedly put there for future use. Even with the Moblie Ease accessory ( which I have ) it doesnt do anything. I do like the Mobile Ease intergration. It cuts right in when the radio is playing, mutes it, and puts it back on when I hang up. You can store numbers in it and dial by name and number. My only complaint is the controller piece is kinda bulky looking (not a fan of aftermarket stuff stuck to dash ) but it does illuminate the same as the factory stuff. I mounted mine between the AUX input and cigarette lighter.

Matt

Thanks for the reply. Yes it did come with the DVD remote. Could I ask you a favor and take a picture of what the control unit looks like for the Mobile Ease?

As for the coin, I have no idea where it is I haven't investigated it that far because it hasn't become that bothersome yet unlike the rattle in the column that I took apart and reassembled with some foam. The extendable magnet is a great idea I didn't think of that. Ill see if I can come up with one.

Thanks again for the reply.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the phone button just mutes the stereo so you can talk on your phone in silence without actually turning the knob down.

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could I ask you a favor and take a picture of what the control unit looks like for the Mobile Ease?

Thanks again for the reply.

Yup here you go. Its mounted between the aux input and cigarette lighter. Sorry it's so far away, I'll check and see if I have a closer pic if you need it.

Matt

Attachments

• DSCN0102.JPG
    DSCN0102.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Mobile Ease.jpg
    Mobile Ease.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the phone button just mutes the stereo so you can talk on your phone in silence without actually turning the knob down.

They used to do that, up until I think 07. The ones that had a mute button do, but when Ford changed it to "phone" it does absolutley nothing. Nice huh. Nothing like having a button on your radio that doesn't do anything. :rolleyes:

Matt