Key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckman

Reaction score
How do you program a new key fob with only one original key fob? 22 Ford Expedition

Last edited:

aalbert

Reaction score
Am in the same boat - Assuming this is a 4th gen, you will need to go to a dealer and have them add an additional key (After which you can do your own). Having it done at a locksmith doesn't guarantee that the 2nd key will be able to add additional, as they often (not alway) clone the primary key, so the car doesn't see them as distinct keys.

I am actually set to have a dealer in GA do my car when I am up there next week, as the price is $125-150 cheaper up there vs down here in Miami.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
You failed to post the year, make and model of your vehicle - and the type of key (fob) it has.
I'm reasonably certain that a 22 has the one piece fob without a physical key, but there could be an emergency key inside the body of the fob.

Anyway, cloning the existing key won't work very well and will probably present starting issues down the road, so unless your locksmith has the correct programming tools, you'd be better off taking it to a dealer. Yes it will cost more, but you can be assured that it will done correctly.

The Ark

Reaction score
I just bought a Dorman universal key fob from Advance Auto this week for around $50 (4-button). Only required 1 functioning key fob to program and it includes the instructions. Took 5 minutes to program. Bought my vehicle used and only included one set of keys.

acepilot13

Reaction score
A good option for all you out there with one key fob and you want to actually have a programmed key and not cloned key is to go to batteries plus. I bought one for my 2018 expedition and with programming and cutting it was $180. That's key, cutting, and programming. Then I bought a cheap $20 one from Amazon and programmed it with my two "original" keys. I got batteries plus to cut my cheap key too. Just check that it works before you leave.