Largest tire size on 22" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kwood1213

Reaction score
I think it's finally happening gents, about to end up with a 2020 Platinum.
I did use the search feature and didn't see an answer.
I actually like the platinum wheels, but was wondering what the biggest tire I could fit with no lift. Would prefer more sidewall versus height. Going to go with a good 10 ply all terrain tire since my wife has to pick me up in the boonies occasionally. Pic attached for example

I've also looked at the 4th gen lifted thread, but was curious what a good lift is. Would love to go Icon, but can't afford it, and I also want to do a suspension lift and level of around 2", not just spacers.

palo duro canyon.jpg

Last edited:

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you don't lift the chassis, there's very little room for larger diameter tires, which means you're pretty much stuck with the same sidewall height on a given rim.

I would not use /45 series 22" tires offroad, way too easy to get pinch flats from a rock, and/or bend/crack a rim. of course, your mileage may vary.

LegalBrief

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took the OEM tires off day 2, they weren’t 3 peak rated. The 3 peak rated 22, required me to shift size, tire rack is where I figured it out. From the picture I would take the road in the picture above, with my 23 and 3 Peak, Pirrelli Weather Actives.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
if you don't lift the chassis, there's very little room for larger diameter tires, which means you're pretty much stuck with the same sidewall height on a given rim.

I would not use /45 series 22" tires offroad, way too easy to get pinch flats from a rock, and/or bend/crack a rim. of course, your mileage may vary.
You might have a little room for taller tires, but it won't be alot.... I know I've been looking into taller tires for my 011 EL, which is spec'd for 275/55/20's, and I've had several tire shops tell me that I could only go to a 60, MAYBE a 65, without any issues...

Also beware of the change in speedometer readings and ABS sensor functions that happen with taller tires...

And yes, any tire with a 45 sidewall is an absolute recipe for disaster when off roading !
I took the OEM tires off day 2, they weren’t 3 peak rated. The 3 peak rated 22, required me to shift size, tire rack is where I figured it out. From the picture I would take the road in the picture above, with my 23 and 3 Peak, Pirrelli Weather Actives.
Can you please elaborate on this "3 peak" thing...I've never heard of it, and would like to know more, even though I don't go offroad at all....

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its actually 3PMSF, 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake. The icon on the right here...

i-zqsKThp-X4.jpg

they are better in the snow than simple M+S, but not as good as a full dedicated winter tire.