Let’s settle this, what is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spraying fluid film under my 2007 EL Eddie Bauer today and was looking at this and the question begs.....center differential or transfer case? We have 2H, 4A, 4H, 4L, so it has two speed gearing. But in all definitions clutch packs are also mentioned. I have also read it’s chain driven as well...so what the heck is it? I have done a lot of reading on the ControlTrac 4WD in our 2007-2014 Expeditions. It has a microprocessor (computer) of it’s own which can send and direct torque wherever needed and often times can predict slippage before it occurs in the first place. Has two speeds, clutch packs, chain......is it a hybrid of sorts? I’ve always called it a transfer case...

C23873BE-6899-47DC-8C6E-CD32DEA2B58B.jpeg

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its an electrically changed transfer case, the little motor shifts between ranges 2h, 4h 4 lo, 4auto and neutral in my case.
its got a chain and clutch packs, torque on demand system allows power to go to the front wheels if slippage is detected, or so it states at the b/w site

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense, the definition just seems murky since it has both. Whatever it is I decided to give it some fresh Mercon while I was down there lol. Old fluid wasn’t too bad a little dirty.

0D598EB9-9870-4863-8E58-E89F6CBF1805.jpeg

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford calls it a "transfer case", so I guess that's the proper terminology for it.

I call it "another part we need to change fluid in" myself!

;)

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i left out the torque on demand is only for the 4 auto mode. 4h and 4 low distributes torque evenly front to back all the time. thats why it states no driving in 4h on dry surfaces like concrete or the like and 4 low for low traction slippery surfaces in a few words.

4 auto is the place you can leave it all day long and the system will only apply torque to the front if slip is detected by the magic elf living in the case. think overrunning clutch and electronic gizmo.

not to be confused with All wheel drive full time as in some other transfer or power transfer units borg warner site will fill you brain fast with all the cool stuff

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i left out the torque on demand is only for the 4 auto mode. 4h and 4 low distributes torque evenly front to back all the time. thats why it states no driving in 4h on dry surfaces like concrete or the like and 4 low for low traction slippery surfaces in a few words.

4 auto is the place you can leave it all day long and the system will only apply torque to the front if slip is detected by the magic elf living in the case. think overrunning clutch and electronic gizmo.

So did this change on the 2015+? Because if I go to 4A, power is definitely being sent to the front wheels, even on dry pavement without slippage. The steering feel is stiffer in 4A, I can hear more road noise in the front and if I go to the “off road” display on the dash, it shows power being distributed across all four wheels. It varies how much goes to the front based on the speed, wheel direction and such. If I go to 4H, it sends an equal amount to all four wheels consistently.

Along the same note, learned something interesting from the dealership today. I asked them to perform a drain and fill on both diffs and the transfer case. Apparently, the front diff on my 2016 has no drain plug and is “lifetime” fluid. The transfer case and the rear diff both have drain and fill plugs. Maybe FoMoCo is assuming you won’t use the front diff nearly as much as the rear so they just decided to make it “lifetime”?

Edit: So after some googling I learned that this is a common thing on F150s, Expys and Explorers. Learn something new everyday. Just watched a YouTube video of how to drain the front diff using suction and then refilling. Looks simple enough....maybe on a long weekend.

Last edited:

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So did this change on the 2015+? Because if I go to 4A, power is definitely being sent to the front wheels, even on dry pavement without slippage. The steering feel is stiffer in 4A, I can hear more road noise in the front and if I go to the “off road” display on the dash, it shows power being distributed across all four wheels. It varies how much goes to the front based on the speed, wheel direction and such. If I go to 4H, it sends an equal amount to all four wheels consistently.

Along the same note, learned something interesting from the dealership today. I asked them to perform a drain and fill on both diffs and the transfer case. Apparently, the front diff on my 2016 has no drain plug and is “lifetime” fluid. The transfer case and the rear diff both have drain and fill plugs. Maybe FoMoCo is assuming you won’t use the front diff nearly as much as the rear so they just decided to make it “lifetime”?

Edit: So after some googling I learned that this is a common thing on F150s, Expys and Explorers. Learn something new everyday. Just watched a YouTube video of how to drain the front diff using suction and then refilling. Looks simple enough....maybe on a long weekend.

Just did this all last week. FordTechMakuloco has some good tutorial videos for all.

Plati

Reaction score
Differential or Transfer Case? I have seen it called a center differential on this Forum and found that confusing since I know there is a Front Differential and a Rear Differential and I always thought the "one in the center of the vehicle" was a Transfer Case (Ford & BW terminology I believe). Both the front and rear Differentials are in the center between the respective wheels. My vote would be Transfer Case.

but people bastardize words and terminology all the time
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

BW calls it a Transfer Case but uses differential in part of the description
https://www2.borgwarner.com/en/Drivetrain/products/Pages/Transfer-Case.aspx

From my work in patent law, I found that a word is just a starting point.
The important thing is what it does, not the word.
The inventor is their own lexicographer
https://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnew...00_decisions-on-the-patentee-as-lexicographer

Last edited:

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Differential or Transfer Case? I have seen it called a center differential on this Forum and found that confusing since I know there is a Front Differential and a Rear Differential and I always thought the "one in the center of the vehicle" was a Transfer Case (Ford & BW terminology I believe). Both the front and rear Differentials are in the center between the respective wheels. My vote would be Transfer Case.

but people bastardize words and terminology all the time
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential1.htm

BW calls it a Transfer Case but uses differential in part of the description
https://www2.borgwarner.com/en/Drivetrain/products/Pages/Transfer-Case.aspx

From my work in patent law, I found that a word is just a starting point.
The important thing is what it does, not the word.
The inventor is their own lexicographer
https://www.lexisnexis.com/legalnew...00_decisions-on-the-patentee-as-lexicographer

Agreed, I’d vote for Transfer Case.