What is this boot on the front of the expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moeman

Reaction score
Wow, that looks to be your FESM (front end sheet metal) mount. I'm going to guess that the other side is probably in a similar condition. I doubt that could be repaired for any reasonable amount of money. I'm not one to throw up the safety card at any small thing, but this ain't no small thing. About time to start thinking about replacing this vehicle.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Wow, that looks to be your FESM (front end sheet metal) mount. I'm going to guess that the other side is probably in a similar condition. I doubt that could be repaired for any reasonable amount of money. I'm not one to throw up the safety card at any small thing, but this ain't no small thing. About time to start thinking about replacing this vehicle.
^^THIS^^

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recognize this kind of corrosion. It is the mount that holds the radiator support. I had the same problem and replaced the support. This was mine before I replaced it.

Attachments

• 20190224_161328.JPG
    20190224_161328.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 8

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree this is dangerous, I also believe it is repairable. My radiator support was replaced several years ago, long before there was a hole rusted all the way through. I have to think there may be more than just the radiator support rusted through, but maybe not since the radiator support design is terrible.

Now the question is it worth it to you. Well that's a personal question and to some extent comes down to how long you'd like to keep the vehicle, how much money you have available and if you like the newer vehicle offerings.

For me our plan at purchase was to keep this Expedition for 400k miles. I can't afford to replace it now and I do not like anything offered these days.

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know the price today, but in 2019 I bought the support for $275. Took off everything on the front end, drilled out the spot welds, replaced the mounting hardware, and gave everything a good coat of paint. The only other cost is service the A/C because you need to disconnect the evaporator. Did most of the labor myself. It does need to be done.

OP
OP
G

gabe099

Reaction score
Hello and thankyou all for replying. Sorry it took me so long to reply, but it’s only on one side. I bought this epedition used for $800 with 233k miles as transportation. It’s 4x4 xlt I live in a small town in the Midwest and the only long distance I drive this vehicle is maybe twice a month about 80 miles round trip. Mainly the drive is a couple times a week 5 miles somewhere (the town is really small). There’s really not that much rust on the undercarriage for how old this vehicle is which was surprising. Like another commenter posted this is the radiator support on the driver side the one on the passenger side is fine.