Losing Power When Accelerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOB4254

Reaction score
My 1998 Exp 5.4L, will accelerate to 2000 RPM. Then when I floor it engine bog's down. When I let up on the gas pedal half way, engine accelerates and takes off as long as I keep her around 2000 RPM. No miss firers. New plugs, coils and wires. New fuel pump. Cleaned MAF. Getting Codes P0171 & P0174. 1998 Ford Expedition 5.4L, 130k miles.

Fuel filter changed 20k miles ago. Fuel Pressure at rail = 29

Feels like she's not getting the fuel she requires when accelerating bogs down.

Installed new Fuel Pressure Regulator. Condition did not improve.

Something very interesting someone may have an answer to. I installed a new fuel filter. OMG she accelerated like she did when she was new. I thought my acceleration problem was solved. Next day I started her she started fine and idles smooth and quiet.

Took her for a spin and now she when back to very poor acceleration. Same problem I had.

(will accelerate to 2000 RPM. Then when I floor it engine bog's down. When I let up on the gas pedal half way, engine accelerates and takes off as long as I keep her around 2000 RPM).

I'm thinking to install new MAF Sensor.

Any advice. Very confused at this point.