loud tinkling rattle from engine at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I chose to upgrade my 2016's Sync3 and Nav maps tonight after dark, when the temps cooled down from the 95F high today to a sane low 60s/upper 50s. The maps update required letting the truck idle in my driveway for nearly an hour. When I went back out there, there was quite a loud tinkling sort of rattle, seemingly from the front of the engine. I popped the hood and didn't see anything obvious, no leaks or anything. It did NOT sound like tappet noise, or cylinder pinging, engine temps were nominal, nor did I smell anything out of the ordinary. If anything, it sounded like a chain rattling.

It was too dark out there to see much, I'll give it a better eyeball tomorrow.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I chose to upgrade my 2016's Sync3 and Nav maps tonight after dark, when the temps cooled down from the 95F high today to a sane low 60s/upper 50s. The maps update required letting the truck idle in my driveway for nearly an hour. When I went back out there, there was quite a loud tinkling sort of rattle, seemingly from the front of the engine. I popped the hood and didn't see anything obvious, no leaks or anything. It did NOT sound like tappet noise, or cylinder pinging, engine temps were nominal, nor did I smell anything out of the ordinary. If anything, it sounded like a chain rattling.

It was too dark out there to see much, I'll give it a better eyeball tomorrow.
Could it be coming from the turbo?

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Grab a 2 foot extension, put one end on the turbo and the other against your ear. A poor mans stethoscope

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried a hardwood dowel, about 1/2" in diameter with a domed end, about 2 feet long... inconclusive. I note the pitch and speed of the rattle does NOT change with engine RPM, so now I'm really wondering wtf this is.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like the AC clutch/ idler pulley going south… turn the A/C on HI and then off and see if the noise stops.

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried putting it in drive with the brake on and a bit of gas, nada change. ditto in 4A and 4L, revving it to 2000 rpm or so (4L wouldn't go higher at a hard stop), no change other than the clack sound of the 4L engaging/disengaging (while in N, of course)

DCaretaker

Reaction score
There used to be a heat riser valve in the exhaust manifold that could produce that sound. Don't know if these high tech engines still have them.