loud tinkling rattle from engine at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, as this is my primary vehicle, I decided to drop it at the local dealer for diagnosis, since its on a CPO Platinum warranty. I got there just as they were opening, I didn't have an appointment, but the advisor assured me they would at least diagnose it by end of day.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have suggested this is the turbo wastegate rattle - search for it, there's a few videos on putting a small spring on it to eliminate the rattle. Not sure it's worth it unless you're really annoyed by the sound.

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have suggested this is the turbo wastegate rattle - search for it, there's a few videos on putting a small spring on it to eliminate the rattle. Not sure it's worth it unless you're really annoyed by the sound.

its pretty loud. as I was checking into the dealer service this morning, I was in the drivers seat, advisor had his clipboard, I start explaining the noise, then say, oh here, and reach over and hit the Start button, RATTLECHINGRATTLECHINGRATTLECHING, and he was OH, yeah, ok, thats obviously loud.

I would have expected a wastegate rattle to change while driving, like accelerating to freeway speed... I had the radio off and my ears on driving to the dealer, and didn't sense any change accelerating to freeway speed.

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
and.... shop found a little scrap of metal had fallen behind the water pump pulley and was rubbing against it. it fell out when they poked at it, and boom, sound gone.

no charge.

OP
OP
Left Coast Geek

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go by a lottery ticket. You'll probably win with that kind of luck!

I'm assuming the labor was covered by the CPO/ESP thats still in effect (we paid for the 100K mile version). The advisor said they removed the serpentine belt, identified the water pump pulley as the noise source and removed said pulley, and thats when the metal bit fell out, so they put it all back together and gave it a quick test drive. I probably should have clarified that in my last post. I can't imagine R&R on the serpentine belt taking less than an hour as all the turbo air plumbing is in the way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justink995