Mach stereo problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok guys/girls, here's one for you. I have a 2000 expedition Eddie Bauer, with the Mach stereo setup. Here's what happens. I fire up the unit, and I get no sound, the dash unit lights up, but no sound from speakers. If I pull main #1 25 amp fuse, it will work for about 10 minutes or so. Sometimes it will start playing sound for a short while, without doing anything. When it cuts off the sound to speakers, I hear a light crackling sound. It did play fine for a bout 4 days last week. I'm leaning towards the
Amplifier mounted under radio in dash. I do live in a humid climate in Alabama, and it does get wet at times with rain. Before I start a project that I don't wanna. What do you think?

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I do, but it quit working after I went through a river of water back in bay area years back. Do you think the two are linked together? It was playing fine till about 1 months ago.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you think the two are linked together?
When my back sub amp went bad (out of the blue) it was messing with the radio as well.

To check is very easy,
pry up the cup holder on the 3rd row passengers side.
The sub amp is right there and you can disconnect it to see if that fixes the problem or not.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually had pulled that whole panel off about 2 years back to replace the stock sub amp. I got same stock one off eBay. Turns out no power going to amp. Checked power/ ground. This issue is different. I took a 90 mile round trip today. Sometimes the speakers would play then stop. On my trip back, it came on and stayed on. The fact that it will play after removing, and installing main 25 amp fuse, led me towards a dirty connection that makes contact momentarily. So yours was the sub amp making the main amp stop?

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So yours was the sub amp making the main amp stop?
It was messing with the radio functions,
static and intermittent sound before it totally went and blew the fuse.
once it blew the fuse I could put a new one in
but as soon as I turned the radio on it would blow again.

I unplugged the sub amp and it stopped blowing the fuse and the radio functions were perfectly fine just without the sub.

OP
OP
1955moose

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mines not blowing the fuse .it works sometimes for a week straight, then stops. Looks like I'm going to have to dig into it. I had the windshield finally sealed back in February, that stopped the gem module gremlins. I did install a reman gem from O'Reilly's back then. I hope it's not going bad. Everything else works as it should. I put die electric grease on terminals when I had apart. You mentioned about the subwoofer fuse is wrapped in tape on passenger side wheel well. I looked up for it in my Ford schematic, all it shows is 25 amp main fuse at #1 fuse inside SUV