Max Maximum Towing Input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Given your trailer weight and the premium fuel requirement when towing (for best performance with any eco boost, so more spendy than diesel typically right of the Mississippi) I think you're in the F250 territory, minimum. I wouldn't be happy with anything less myself. Our TT was 7000 and the IRS on the expedition just squats with those tongue weights... It wasn't terrible, but, another 250-300 lbs in your use case necessitates a solid higher capacity rear axle. YMMV/Good luck!

Grizguy

Reaction score
I dont think there would be much difference between the f150 and expedition. I have hauled with both. Neither will pull as well as your excursion. I was hoping, the way they advertised the MAX in the earlier days, would be more like the excursion. It is just a big car. put a trailer on and the gas milage goes to 9mpg. Does not seam to mater how small the trailer is. About the same with the f150. I liked pulling with my f350 dually. Currently have f550 gas.. Wow.. it sucks gas.. rides HARD.. but pulls very well.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve towed a 10,000lb, 34’ trailer with a 2019 Expedition Max and had zero issues from coast to coast. You should certainly be fine.

The most critical number is the max payload of the 4 tires, which is probably at least 2200 lbs and should absolutely not be exceeded. But all the other “limits” are somewhat arbitrary.

The aerodynamics of the trailer matter more than its weight for towing; I now have a 7500# loaded trailer that’s much taller and has caused some overheating in Cape Breton grades so your ideas for extra cooling would be good if you’ll have a tall box trailer

OP
OP
absolutezero273c
Reaction score
When on a non towing trip my 2017 gets very close to 500 miles between fillups, not the 700 my Excursion got, but Im older now and a break at 500 miles is good. Unfortunately, when towing (on premium), that drops to 300 miles between fuel stops. While Im on the subject, you should keep in mind that can run the T/T Expy in low load situations on 87 (which I do) you NEED TO plan on running Premium in all loaded / towing situations. Besides being the MFG recomendation, you will get substantially better mileage towing with premium than regular. I am getting close to 13mpg towing a 6600 load. I’ve pulled my car trailer empty (1650lb) with both reg and premium and the difference is 2.5mpg.
Thanks. I will plan to run Premium when towing. And I get similar mileage with my Excursion. 10-12 mpg towing my travel trailer. The variance depends on the terrain.

OP
OP
absolutezero273c
Reaction score
I dont think there would be much difference between the f150 and expedition. I have hauled with both. Neither will pull as well as your excursion. I was hoping, the way they advertised the MAX in the earlier days, would be more like the excursion. It is just a big car. put a trailer on and the gas milage goes to 9mpg. Does not seam to mater how small the trailer is. About the same with the f150. I liked pulling with my f350 dually. Currently have f550 gas.. Wow.. it sucks gas.. rides HARD.. but pulls very well.
Grizguy, I appreciate your input. I also agree that my excursion would tow better than them. I'm just tired of parts being NLA, like having to fabricate my own parts. Like cooling hoses for example. Not to mention, the ride of an F-350 isn't the greatest when unloaded. There were some Carli springs I was looking at upgrading to, that are known to greatly enhance/improve the ride, but I need to wrap up all my projects. Not start more, lol.

OP
OP
absolutezero273c
Reaction score
I’ve towed a 10,000lb, 34’ trailer with a 2019 Expedition Max and had zero issues from coast to coast. You should certainly be fine.

The most critical number is the max payload of the 4 tires, which is probably at least 2200 lbs and should absolutely not be exceeded. But all the other “limits” are somewhat arbitrary.

The aerodynamics of the trailer matter more than its weight for towing; I now have a 7500# loaded trailer that’s much taller and has caused some overheating in Cape Breton grades so your ideas for extra cooling would be good if you’ll have a tall box trailer
LG_123, Thank you for sharing your experience! That is exactly the feedback I was looking for. I know I will be asking any 'new to me' Exp Max to work hard so I do plan to make upgrades for cooling, etc., maybe a brake upgrade, too, to minimize the wear and tear. And definitely tires that can handle the load!