Memory Mirrors Not Working Correctly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christopher D

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Platinum Expedition. I realized only after I purchased it that Ford did not make available "auto tilt" mirrors in reverse. So, taking the advice of others, I programmed my #3 Memory Seating position to have the mirrors tilt down to the curb. This works great. What doesn't work great is when I go back to my #1 or #2 presets and both mirrors don't return to the preset locations. For example, the right mirror will point up to the sky and click non-stop and the left mirror will either do the same or turn left or right until they click. At first it only starting happening every 9th or 10th time I used this function. Now it happens almost every time.

I brought it to the dealer and told them what was happening. Naturally, they returned the truck to me and said they couldn't replicate the problem. When I left the parking lot and put the mirrors in the #3 setting to back up, and tried to return to the #1 presets, both mirrors did it in an instant. I videoed both happening at the same time, drove back into my parking space and went right back inside. I showed them the video and now they "think" they may have to replace the mirrors at my next service in December. "Think" they may have to. Did I mention I have a bumper-to-bumper full coverage warranty until 145,000 miles (presently ha 69,000 miles on it)? There's a problem. I have the extended warranty. Order new mirrors. It's not complicated nor are you paying for it.

Is anyone experiencing this issue with their Expedition? If so, what was the remedy for it?

Thanks.

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was about to post a new thread on this.
Our 2018 Max Limited does this when I punch #2 for my seat/mirrors (wife's truck) and occasionally when putting back to #1 for hers. At first it was just the driver's side, but have seen the passenger side do it too. I just push the opposite 1 or 2, then back to whichever I was trying to get & it goes back to normal.

Were you able to find a resolution? Mine is going in on Wednesday for cam phasers & will try to get them to look at the mirrors too.

OP
OP
C

Christopher D

Reaction score
Sorry it took me so long to reply. The Ford dealer ended up resetting the system (I'm not entirely sure what that means) and the memory mirror have been working as designed. As for the cam phasers, did you have yours replaced? I had my service completed and the rattle went away but now it's back at the dealership because it's shaking at a stop light (occasionally) and there's something going on with the "Bank 1" cylinders that's causing a misalignment and misfiring (which is why it's shaking apparently).

Out of curiosity, have you experienced any AC issues? My AC system was replaced around 40,000 miles due to a faulty evaporator sensor and leaking parts. Now, at 90,000 miles, it's back at the dealer for the same thing. It's frustrating!

JAMADOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's in the shop now for CP replacement. Went in on 11/9
No AC issues, that I'm aware of. It's my wife's truck so I don't drive it as much as she does. We're only at 37k miles.
Will have to call the dealer & see if they can reset the mirrors while they have it.