Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2 rim protection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ib_jigged

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going to upgrade the General Grabber HTS60's on our '24 Limited. Looking at the Defender really hard, but have read that they don't offer the flared out protection around the rim. Does anyone have any photos of what this looks like on the '22-24, black Stealth 22" rims? Our other choice is the Pirelli Scorpion AS 3's and I have seen a few photos of those. Thank you in advance!

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by "flared out protection around the rim", but based on these pics of the defenders vs. wrangler SR-A's (which were OEM on older models) vs. pirelli scorpions's mentioned in another thread, that supposedly has it, but I don't see anything that looks "flared out" on either one, unless I'm just missing it....

Attachments

• Michelin-Defender.png
    Michelin-Defender.png
    937.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Wrangler_SRA.png
    Wrangler_SRA.png
    551.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Scorpians.png
    Scorpians.png
    648.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is this section of the tire. It sticks out farther than the rim to protect the edge.View attachment 81926
While I appreciate and sympathize with your appreciation of the rim protectors available on some tires......I have them on the GY F1 SC's on my GT500 Euro-flange wheels...they will NOT protect your wheel from a curb scuff. The physics and geometry are against you. If you drive close enough to a curb to touch the wheel, that little tire formation will deflect and allow the damage to occur as if it wasn't even there. I mean, it looks like it would work; but, the mass of the vehicle and the tire adhesion to the pavement is such that that formation will not "push" the vehicle away from the curb and prevent damage. I have a scuff to prove it (1 in 13 years...it only takes 1). The only solution is staying away from the curbs using cameras, etc. (which my GT500 does not have).

Get the Defenders, the road silence, all weather traction, wear, etc. will make you happy.

Just saying.

SVThound

Reaction score
I went a size up on the defenders to 305/45/22 when I powder coated the stealth 22’s all black (had to get rid of the silver ring on top). The bigger tire gives a bit more rim protection.

Attachments

• IMG_5550.jpeg
    IMG_5550.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5551.jpeg
    IMG_5551.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5552.jpeg
    IMG_5552.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 32

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went a size up on the defenders to 305/45/22 when I powder coated the stealth 22’s all black (had to get rid of the silver ring on top). The bigger tire gives a bit more rim protection.
Just out of curiosity, what differences did you notice in going from the 285’s to the 305’s? I have the 22’s with no CCD and the ride can be a little harsh sometimes. I’m going to need tires in the next 6 months to a year and want to get some more comfort in the ride.

Also any MPG degradation with the bigger tire?