Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2 rim protection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVThound

Reaction score
I have CCD. No difference in mileage, ride is much better now, not sure if that’s from the size change or brand change. I attached a photo of the size difference. They are 3/4” taller and 3/4” wider. No rubbing at all. Much quieter on the road now too. I’ve ran defenders on 22’s for my last 4 suvs. I really like them. Great mileage warranty at 80,000 too. I have about 16,000 miles on these and they don’t look a day old.

Attachments

• IMG_5554.png
    IMG_5554.png
    323.2 KB · Views: 22

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
I have CCD. No difference in mileage, ride is much better now, not sure if that’s from the size change or brand change. I attached a photo of the size difference. They are 3/4” taller and 3/4” wider. No rubbing at all. Much quieter on the road now too. I’ve ran defenders on 22’s for my last 4 suvs. I really like them. Great mileage warranty at 80,000 too. I have about 16,000 miles on these and they don’t look a day old.
Did the calculator you used happen mention the difference in speedometer readings that this change will produce ?

It may or may not be significant, but still something to be aware of either way, especially if you go thru any areas that are regularly speed-trapped by the loco yoko's :D

DavidCola

Reaction score
Going to upgrade the General Grabber HTS60's on our '24 Limited. Looking at the Defender really hard, but have read that they don't offer the flared out protection around the rim. Does anyone have any photos of what this looks like on the '22-24, black Stealth 22" rims? Our other choice is the Pirelli Scorpion AS 3's and I have seen a few photos of those. Thank you in advance!
I had the Defenders and loved the tire. However, they never protected my rims.

ZigZagFred

Reaction score
Hi, fellow Expys! I don't know about rim protection, but we've had Michelin Defenders on our 2013 Escape, 2006 Expedition, 2017 Edge, and 2019 Expedition. We would not think of driving on anything else.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with curbs but I have Bridgestone tires that I got at Costco. They ride fantastic compared to the garbage Ford put on this from the factory. And they wear well. I haven't had a Michelin tire in over 30 years because their wet weather handling and braking was always terrible to the point I will never buy them again. Hopefully they have improved.

Scooter455

Reaction score
It is this section of the tire. It sticks out farther than the rim to protect the edge.View attachment 81926
I have a 22 platinum Expedition in the same color. I bought 22" stealth's for mine and went with the BFG Trail Terrain TA in 285/45-22. They ride great - unfortunately no rim guard. I think the Continental Terrain Contact AT and HT have it. Great tire as well.

Scooter455

Reaction score
I don't have an issue with curbs but I have Bridgestone tires that I got at Costco. They ride fantastic compared to the garbage Ford put on this from the factory. And they wear well. I haven't had a Michelin tire in over 30 years because their wet weather handling and braking was always terrible to the point I will never buy them again. Hopefully they have improved.
Which Bridgestone?

Scooter455

Reaction score
I went a size up on the defenders to 305/45/22 when I powder coated the stealth 22’s all black (had to get rid of the silver ring on top). The bigger tire gives a bit more rim protection.
I have 305/45-22's in the Nitto Recons on 22" King Ranch wheels for my F1. They are huge. Make the truck look great

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would love to put Bridgestones on. I’ve never had a bad one. Some of their stuff rates poorly for snow on tirerack. Gives me hesitation. Michelin tires crack after four years, but people have reported fantastic results consistently. That’s what I’ll probably go with, but would like to research a specific Bridgestone somebody has liked on an expy.