Mileage display and side view mirror controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NemesisNJ

Reaction score
My truck has recently started to fail on moving my mirrors on my 2000 Exp XLT. It has the mini joysitck with L/R option my passenger side does not move at all and my driver side only goes down, could this be wiring or the switch itself? Also the mileage display which is typical lighted quartz similar to the headunit display blinks out randomly, sometimes it goes off, sometimes it dims. It always comes back after a few seconds to a minute but gets irritating, any ideas? ANd last but not least the Overdrive "OFF" light on the shifter turns off when putting into gear, but if I jiggle the shifter sometimes it comes on and somtimes it doesn't, odd.

2000 Black Expo
4.6L XLT

opie

Reaction score
mirrors:
get the "joystick" switch out of the door and run a jumper (bypassing the joystick) to see if the mirrors move any better. If they work, then you know its the joystick contacts.

mileage display:
The fact that it DIMS as well as goes out completely leads me to think its a grounding problem. If memory serves, the gauge display unit isn't all that difficult to get out to check your connections. Actually disconnect the wire harness from it and look at the connections to see if they look corroded.

overdrive light:
well, my first thought was that maybe you had alot of slop in your gear selector and maybe when you were in drive with your overdrive off (which turns the light on) your selector would be right on the edge of neutral, and that would turn off your light. So, i went out, started my truck, shifted to drive, turned the overdrive off, and shifted in neutral and the light stayed on....so....looks like its a simple short or bad connection to the light.

OP
OP
N

NemesisNJ

Reaction score
Opie- Thanks alot, I check all of that out next week hopefully if it stops raining. I don't have a garage to utilize at the moment. My oldman turned ours into a machine shop. And there's a nor easter hitting us. I'll reply when I've tested everything. Anymore info you find out please post it, I greatly appreciate it. Thanks again!!

wickman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The odometer on my 00 XLT goes out every once in a while also. I don't think that it dims, I've only seen it go off and on.