My expedition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abkirk

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Austin. I bought my expedition new in 2013. Wasn’t looking for a vehicle when I bought it. I gave $46k for it. It was for my wife to drive and our family car. For the next several years it did baseball games, a homecoming, and countless vacations.

Had an update sent to me in the mail on the transmission; took it to the dealer and asked them to change the oil and filter while they were at it. 3 days later my transmission went out!!! 186k miles. I had them put a new one in it; $7k

At this point it was now my daily driver, I got the wife something new.

In spring of 2021 we had a bad ice storm in KY. I had worked a midnight and went out to start my expedition. It cranked and crank and would only act like it was gonna start. Long story short; I dropped a valve and thrashed the engine (5.4). Got one from ford $9k.

I also am partners in a surface coal mine. The expedition has been my work car since it’s been my daily driver. I now have 285k miles on it. I use it as I need and sometimes it is in lots of mud. I go slow and try not to flip it up under and in the hard to get places, but I use the vehicle for work. At this point, it will get whatever it needs. It’s mine for now on.

I got this idea that I wanted to use it as a road trip vehicle. I have pitched to my wife that she and I travel in it, sleep in the parking lots at Plannet Fitnesses across the country (she and I are avid exercise people) because I am a black card member and they have showers and bathrooms. We have yet to do that. I had the windows tinted really dark so folks can’t see in.

This weekend we are taking it camping. I bought a tent that hooks to it. We are excited. I will post pictures.

As I said, it is mine. As it needs things, I plan on spending the money and upgrading to the spec I want.

I have an injector or something leaking off. Everytime I get the oil changed, I have them do something deeper. My next visit I’m gonna have them change the spark plugs. I’m a mechanical person and could donit myself, but with two jobs; it’s just not economical or time efficient. I farm it out right now. I have done my share though! Lol. Anyways, I will have them put new injectors in soon. At 300k miles, these have done their job.

My goals are:

to put a concealed winch in the expedition. I think I can weld a mounting plate between frame rails and there is lots of space between the radiator and front bumper to mount one. I’ll cut the front bumper cover and just let the rollers and hook hang out. I think the concealed look is cool. Please send me pics if anyone has done this. I’ll post mine as I get to it.

I want to upgrade the suspension. I don’t want a big lift. I’m too old to drive a “look at me” car. I want a small lift and improved off road capability. I have seen people using Raptor front ends, etc. right now the Icon lift kit is appealing to me. It’s $6k!!!! If anyone has better ideas or used this kit. Please share you experience and knowledge.

My seats are worn. I plan on finding an interior shop that installs Katskin covers and having mine reapolsterd with the double stitched quilted leather design. Again, please share if you have done this.

If the engine ever goes out again. I want to do a coyote swap, or whatever is cool at that time.

I also have a paint scheme I want tinted if I ever need to repaint.

That is my expedition journey to date. Thank you for letting me in the group. Attached is a pic of the old girl.

Austin

Attachments

• IMG_5803.png
    IMG_5803.png
    212.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5802.png
    IMG_5802.png
    249.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6354.jpeg
    IMG_6354.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6353.png
    IMG_6353.png
    753.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
OP
abkirk

abkirk

Reaction score
Camping Trip. 8/9/24

Attachments

• IMG_9890.jpeg
    IMG_9890.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9889.jpeg
    IMG_9889.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9888.jpeg
    IMG_9888.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9890.jpeg
    IMG_9890.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9891.jpeg
    IMG_9891.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 3

outdoorman

Reaction score
wow, that's some serious mileage on your expedition! i'm impressed you've kept it going this long. have you considered looking into aftermarket parts for your suspension upgrade? might be cheaper than the icon kit, but i'm not sure about the quality difference.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2013 XLT in silver like that. Bought at 117 K miles, so hopefully i get 300K out of it. I have some crazy 20 year unlimited miles extended warranty that covers only the stuff bathed in oil, yeah the kind of stuff that fails in the 5.4 L and 6R80.