New 2 me 1999 Ex 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you have any issues getting the old plugs out or the new ones in?

No, no issues other than a little patience and multiple length extensions to get the rear out. The hardest part of the exchange was getting the boots off the plugs. But after getting the 45 degree pliers out, that became a easier task too. Over all it took me about 25-30 minutes to change all 8 out.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, no issues other than a little patience and multiple length extensions to get the rear out. The hardest part of the exchange was getting the boots off the plugs. But after getting the 45 degree pliers out, that became a easier task too. Over all it took me about 25-30 minutes to change all 8 out.

I am on Youtube now watching the videos and all the horror stories of how the plugs break off in th heads- they seem to be in the 04-'05 ford 3V engines. There seems to be a very specific procedure. Cool engine, soak with carb cleaner, loosen 1/8-1/4 turn yada yada

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am on Youtube now watching the videos and all the horror stories of how the plugs break off in th heads- they seem to be in the 04-'05 ford 3V engines. There seems to be a very specific procedure. Cool engine, soak with carb cleaner, loosen 1/8-1/4 turn yada yada

It has nothing to do with your year 4.6. The 3V ('04+) is the engine with the plugs getting stuck. Anything earlier had the blow-out issue. '04+ had to do with the plug design used that caused the break off into the head. Previous to '03 is with the plug blowing out of the head taking the threads with it. Which required a helicore insert repair to fix it.

Just let the engine cool off, if ran. Then go about it as any other plug change. The only thing with these trucks is the P/S has less room to get to the rear 2 plugs. Just lift up on the heater core hoses and sneak your hand under the hoses with your 4" ext/socket and then push your wrench on it and go at it.

Do not concern yourself with the plug tip seperation into cylinder.

Last edited:

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with your year 4.6. The 3V ('04+) is the engine with the plugs getting stuck. Anything earlier had the blow-out issue. '04+ had to do with the plug design used that caused the break off into the head. Previous to '03 is with the plug blowing out of the head taking the threads with it. Which required a helicore insert repair to fix it.

Just let the engine cool off, if ran. Then go about ut as any other plug change. The only thing with these trucks is the P/S has less room to get to the rear 2 plugs. Just lift up on the heater core hoses and sneak your hand under he hoses with your 4" ext/socket and then push your wrench on the et and go at it.

Do not concern yourself with the plug tip seperation into cylinder.

Thanks

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I was driving home today from work and I was hearing a squeeking noise coming fromt he front driver side and thought it to be odd. When I got home I further searched the underneath and what did I see, grease, grease everywhere. The inner CV boot was torn and spewing and flicking grease everywhere.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
So I went to the auto store and purchased a make and model specific inner CV boot kit for $25.00. Looks as if it is parked until this weekend when I am able to get to it and pull the shaft out and take it apart to install the new boot and re-grease it.
4.jpg

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I purchased a new axle today instead of just relacing the boot. Did not make sense doing that as I still needed to take out the shaft to do the boot. And also trying to fit the boot over the CV knuckle. So for ease and time, and only 20 bucks more than the boot itself, I replaced it today. The only PITA part about this job was the clean-up of all the splattered grease that was from the busted boot. Man, that grease was everywhere. The sway bar was disconnected to get the shaft out, and was reconnected.

1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, there are universal boots out there to use. But, I prefer to stay OEM as much as possible when it comes to replacement. And with the cost of a reman shaft it makes sense to me to just replace the whole assy. Especially as it looks as I may be keeping this ride for awhile anyway. Gives me a piece of mind going this route also.

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well it looks as if I have a small rear main seal leak now. A drop or two is now escaping from it's confines.

Anyone replaced one before on a 4.6? I never have on this engine but have on many others. Is it a PITA or a simple straight forward replacement?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kvil