New '99 EB: Ironing out the kinks, stumbling, clicking reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billzilla

Reaction score
My new '99 Expy EB 4x4 5.4l w/ 122K miles has a few issues:

1). Stumbling and hesitation from start through most RPM range, but mainly when on throttle. Cruising at freeway speeds off or light throttle seems fine. Heavy throttle to full seems OK, too - just light to mid throttle. Not sure, but it might be more prevalent when the truck is warmed up.

2). Seems to be a clicking from the dash area when backing up and tapping the brakes. Only when backing up, although when coming to a stop there's a bit of a clunk as the car stops fully, like something is shifting (that sound/feeling isn't coming from the dash).

3). The other day, the car wouldn't start. All the accessory lights came on, pinging and so forth, but no cranking or even low-battery buzzing. Tried a few different things and found out that if I put the truck in neutral, it'll start. Maybe a key or ignition problem?

4). I know this isn't exactly on-topic, but what's the deal with the odometer being off half the time? It's not a bulb, because it's a vacuum fluorescent display like you have on a VCR.

OP
OP
B

billzilla

Reaction score
Update: Tried Seafoam in the gas tank to no avail (if anything it made the stumbling worse through the RPM range). Couldn't find that 44 stuff people say is better for gas adding - so I picked up a bottle of Champion Complete Fuel System Cleaner. After about 20 miles, the Expo smoothed WAY out. Hesitation and stumbling is almost totally gone. I figure I'll run this tank and then do another treatment in a week or so. This actually saved me a trip to the mechanic, because the stumble was getting so bad I was worried about the cats or something else that might give!

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the odometer, it seems like it's a contact problem. Don't remember the exact procedure off the top of my head, but they have a sticky over at F150online. I'd post the link, but their site isn't loading...

EastCoast4x4

Reaction score
My new '99 Expy EB 4x4 5.4l w/ 122K miles has a few issues:

1). Stumbling and hesitation from start through most RPM range, but mainly when on throttle. Cruising at freeway speeds off or light throttle seems fine. Heavy throttle to full seems OK, too - just light to mid throttle. Not sure, but it might be more prevalent when the truck is warmed up. Had the same issue with my 99 at first. Ended up working itself out, and I believe it was a plug fouling issue. A bad coil pack would cause more of a stumbling/hesitation on full throttle. Mine was the worst when going up a hill at partial throttle.

2). Seems to be a clicking from the dash area when backing up and tapping the brakes. Only when backing up, although when coming to a stop there's a bit of a clunk as the car stops fully, like something is shifting (that sound/feeling isn't coming from the dash).This is the brake light switch. Do it at night time and look behind you while you are hitting the brakes. You will here the click right at the same time the brake lights light up.

3). The other day, the car wouldn't start. All the accessory lights came on, pinging and so forth, but no cranking or even low-battery buzzing. Tried a few different things and found out that if I put the truck in neutral, it'll start. Maybe a key or ignition problem?Sounds like a bad ignition switch or park/neutral safety switch. Either one is fairly inexpensive and easy to replace.

4). I know this isn't exactly on-topic, but what's the deal with the odometer being off half the time? It's not a bulb, because it's a vacuum fluorescent display like you have on a VCR.
The odometer is connected to the main board via cold solder joints. Over time and vibration, one or more joints will break. Check this link on how to fix: http://www.scribd.com/doc/377317/Expedition

OP
OP
B

billzilla

Reaction score
Great replies - thanks!

Should a '99 5.4l have loads of power from 60-70mph up? I'm finding WOT is a little anemic at that speed. Off the line, the truck feels much stronger.

I ask because I was getting on the freeway on a double lane merge onramp and this pissy little fleet van was poking along next to me, then opened up and left me in the dust - badly. I'm not expecting miracles from an Expo (even a 5.4l) but shouldn't it be able to run with a smallish fleet van? I can't remember the make and model. Wasn't anything as big as a Savanna or RAM.

EastCoast4x4

Reaction score
Great replies - thanks!

Should a '99 5.4l have loads of power from 60-70mph up? I'm finding WOT is a little anemic at that speed. Off the line, the truck feels much stronger.

I ask because I was getting on the freeway on a double lane merge onramp and this pissy little fleet van was poking along next to me, then opened up and left me in the dust - badly. I'm not expecting miracles from an Expo (even a 5.4l) but shouldn't it be able to run with a smallish fleet van? I can't remember the make and model. Wasn't anything as big as a Savanna or RAM.

Negative. That little van shoulda left you in the dust. Especially a Dodge Caravan, etc. You are significantly heavier, geared differently, and have very close to the same horsepower rating as those little six cylinders. My Expy will definately move, but that is with the addition of a few aftermarket goodies. Stock, don't expect much. It's designed as a boat/trailer tow rig to bring the family along wherever you go in comfort. Not as a race car. You want a fast SUV, I will sell you my Cayenne.

OP
OP
B

billzilla

Reaction score
Thanks, EC. Even some of my 90's Mustangs got pretty weak above a certain mph.

Eventually, I'll be looking at filter/cold air, programmable chip, exhaust and better, thicker sway bars. Not sure if I'll do headers - that's sort of pricey.