New Expedition Owner - First post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimW

Reaction score

Bisquick

Reaction score
I also just recently took possession of a 2020 XLT. I do have the 202A but also the tow package. I think the takeoff and acceleration overall has exceeded my expectations but maybe that's the tow package add-on as others have pointed out. If I want to go fast, I jump in the Tesla though :)

Anyways, I completely agree that the sound system is absolute crap. Even my wife said so and she normally is not picky when it comes to these things. So I decided something had to be done, even before we left the lot with it. After a good bit of research and some help from people on some of the car audio forums, I launched into an upgrade.

So I’ve finished the install and it sounds AMAZING. I couldn’t be happier with the results. Sounds better than any luxury car stereo I've ever had.

Infinity Kappa Component 6x9s in the front and 2-way in the rears. All doors sound deadened with Noico and Roadkill. Zero rattle in the car even with volume way up.

I ran power to a 3-way fuse distributor in the same location as the amp (under the cup holders area), which I didn’t catch a picture of apparently, but it’s a focal impulse 4.320 (very compact). I drilled a hole in the bottomless pit center storage compartment and put a grommet in there, then ran the wire bundle through. Ground went to a seat bolt. I whipped up a 4” height stand (I have a woodworking shop in the basement) and the Kicker 8” fits perfectly on it in the compartment. Ran a remote on switch from the passenger side fusebox to both amps. The spare unused slot is actually switched and works great with no pops.

I did have to adjust the gains on the focal amp way down (80w rms x 4 @2ohm) to level it out with the gain on the Kicker but ¾ volume on the head unit is still a bit uncomfortably loud. I was able to level everything out really well and it sounds fantastic.

So, if you're so inclined, there are solutions to your problems ;) Beware, as a complete novice with car audio installations - it was a lot of work. But well worth it in my opinion, as we'll get years of enjoyment from it on our road trips.

Good luck!

IMG_5937 (Medium).jpg IMG_5993 (Medium).jpg IMG_5988 (Medium).jpg IMG_5955 (Medium).jpg IMG_5932 (Medium).jpg

JKautz

Reaction score
Great minds think alike...

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2020-xlt-stereo-upgrade.44248/

The Forscan trick is key though. You can’t just upgrade the hardware.

Also, you can disable the battery management system using Forscan to kill auto start, but you’ll get an error message every time you start the car. I used that option for a day and decided it was easier just to press the dash button versus clear the error message. Not to mention I don’t want to kill the battery.

OP
OP
N

Nalvenin

Reaction score
I also just recently took possession of a 2020 XLT. I do have the 202A but also the tow package. I think the takeoff and acceleration overall has exceeded my expectations but maybe that's the tow package add-on as others have pointed out. If I want to go fast, I jump in the Tesla though :)

Anyways, I completely agree that the sound system is absolute crap. Even my wife said so and she normally is not picky when it comes to these things. So I decided something had to be done, even before we left the lot with it. After a good bit of research and some help from people on some of the car audio forums, I launched into an upgrade.

So I’ve finished the install and it sounds AMAZING. I couldn’t be happier with the results. Sounds better than any luxury car stereo I've ever had.

Infinity Kappa Component 6x9s in the front and 2-way in the rears. All doors sound deadened with Noico and Roadkill. Zero rattle in the car even with volume way up.

I ran power to a 3-way fuse distributor in the same location as the amp (under the cup holders area), which I didn’t catch a picture of apparently, but it’s a focal impulse 4.320 (very compact). I drilled a hole in the bottomless pit center storage compartment and put a grommet in there, then ran the wire bundle through. Ground went to a seat bolt. I whipped up a 4” height stand (I have a woodworking shop in the basement) and the Kicker 8” fits perfectly on it in the compartment. Ran a remote on switch from the passenger side fusebox to both amps. The spare unused slot is actually switched and works great with no pops.

I did have to adjust the gains on the focal amp way down (80w rms x 4 @2ohm) to level it out with the gain on the Kicker but ¾ volume on the head unit is still a bit uncomfortably loud. I was able to level everything out really well and it sounds fantastic.

So, if you're so inclined, there are solutions to your problems ;) Beware, as a complete novice with car audio installations - it was a lot of work. But well worth it in my opinion, as we'll get years of enjoyment from it on our road trips.

Good luck!

View attachment 38816 View attachment 38817 View attachment 38819 View attachment 38820 View attachment 38822

Wow!! Congrats! I will look into this in more detail and see if it';s something i can do. Do you have a list of parts, etc? Thanks.

Is the Kicker inside your center storage compartment? :)

thanks.

PS: Last thing, what is the Forscan trick?

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2018-2020 Ford Expedition Autostop EliminatorAE002 Harness Type ('18-'20) 1 $89.99
Scroll for more items
Cost summary
Description Price
Subtotal
$89.99
Discount F150FORUM - $13.49$13.49 off total order price
Shipping Free
Total USD $76.50