no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnb1019

Reaction score
I have a 99 expo with the 5.4, and the problem is that when i put the key to turn over it doesent do anything, all the lights go dim and nothing else happens, but i can pop the hood and touch the coil with a wrench making a complete curcut and it would crank right up, with the key in the on position, does anyone know whats going on? Ive heard Ingnition switch in the column going out, but I dont know. The expo has a brand new battery and alternator.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you have a bad " starter solenoid ". If it where an ignition switch you would not even get the lights on the dash.

OP
OP
Johnb1019

Johnb1019

Reaction score
that sounds possible, cause i did notice the starter would act like a low battery, but the battery and alternater is new, ill check the starter, thanks

ignorantmonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well... you may have the whole gauge board checked. I posted here a similar problem: Key in, key turning = nothing... key in for second time = engine staring... That was my situation with my 2002 XLT until one day it never had the engine on... SO the issue was fixed yesterday as a guy that does key copies and also is a electrical mechanic changed the whole gauge board and replaced it with one from a wrecked truck from a salvage car dealer... then he reprogrammed the keys and VOILA!...

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but i can pop the hood and touch the coil with a wrench making a complete curcut and it would crank right up, with the key in the on position, does anyone know whats going on?

When you say coil, do you mean the solenoid on the firewall? If that is the case, then your starter solenoid is going bad, its a pretty cheap replacement and will get your truck back in working order in no time :D

OP
OP
Johnb1019

Johnb1019

Reaction score
Hey i found the reason the starter wouldnt work, when the tranny went out it locked up the shaft inside of it and the starter couldnt turn it over, but thanks for your imputs!