Not starting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GngrBeardMan

Reaction score
New issue today. Was running fine yesterday. Went to start it to run to the store real quick and I got one click and then nothing. All the dash lights come on, radio works fine but it's not even ring to turn over. Tried jumping it just in case the battery was too low for anything else and tried swapping the starter relay but no change. Any ideas what I should check next?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New issue today. Was running fine yesterday. Went to start it to run to the store real quick and I got one click and then nothing. All the dash lights come on, radio works fine but it's not even ring to turn over. Tried jumping it just in case the battery was too low for anything else and tried swapping the starter relay but no change. Any ideas what I should check next?

How old is the battery? Has it been previously discharged, then jump-started or charged with a battery charger?

Replace the battery and ensure the terminal connectors are clean and tight. You may want to remove the existing battery and have it tested.

A battery with one or more bad cells can prevent jump-starting.

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Replace the battery and ensure the terminal connectors are clean and tight
Also check the battery cables themselves, as they can degrade over time, especially the positive side, leading to low voltage or voltage loss. Another thing to check is the connection to the starter, which could be corroded, causing the same issues. Some models are more picky about this than others, but it's worth a few extra minutes while your in there... :)

OP
OP
GngrBeardMan

GngrBeardMan

Reaction score
How old is the battery? Has it been previously discharged, then jump-started or charged with a battery charger?

Replace the battery and ensure the terminal connectors are clean and tight. You may want to remove the existing battery and have it tested.

A battery with one or more bad cells can prevent jump-starting.
The battery is less than 2 years old. Getting 12.3 v across the terminals. Same to the body. I was told by the guy I bought it from that there was some corrosion in one of the positive cables but I got clean copper when I started digging after about an inch with a little bit of corrosion until I got down to about 5 inches from the battery. Was thinking about splicing in a good piece and seeing if is starts. Can't seem to find a cut to size replacement at any of the auto repair shops around me. All they carry are really short pieces or bulk cable you have to buy by the Foot and I'm not sure how much I would need to go from the battery terminal down to the starter.

Al Steel

Reaction score
Battery sounds good. Pull the terminal connections make sure the posts and inside of the terminals are clean and bright. Use a battery post and terminal cleaner tool. Check your terminal connections to the cable to ensure they are crimped tightly and have full contact with clean copper. When you press the connectors back on to the post make sure they are tight and secure. Connectors that look tight and have enough bite to light up the accessories may not be tight enough to draw starting current. So give them a strong tug and twist to make sure they are secure. Im doubtful of corrosion on the cables unless they are just rotted to hell. If the HVAC blower motor runs and the windows go up and down at the same time, your main feed is good. I'd be looking hard at the starter cable and not the primary wiring harness feeder.

BTW: Lowe's or Home Depot do carry heavy gauge stranded copper in cut-to-length.

If all that is good then check your positive cable to the starter solenoid. If that is good and secure then I'm thinking you lost the starter solenoid.

It's a pretty straightforward repair to swap a starter on most vehicles but I've never tried it on an Expy. If you pull the starter, most auto parts shops will bench test it for you.

G/L!

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
BTW: Lowe's or Home Depot do carry heavy gauge stranded copper in cut-to-length
This is true, HOWEVER..... if you haven't checked the price of copper wire (or pipe) recently, you should probably take an AED or your cardiologist with you, cause it has risen to an heart-attack level, partly because of the increases in raw materials & manufacturing costs, but also due to extreme levels of theft....

Around me, anything & everything that is made from, with or containing copper.... pipe, or wire, even 1/4" Icemaker tubing & fittings, is locked up behind industrial-level steel cages with military grade padlocks that require 2 different keys to open, and even then, there is a 9-step protocol you have to agree to follow in order to make a purchase BEFORE they even open the cages....

I recently went to buy an 8' x 1/2" copper grounding rod, which a few years ago, used to run about $35-45 and were easy to shop for from the open pipe racks next to the plastic conduit, now they are $188 and locked in the above cages, yikes :eek::mad:o_O

OP
OP
GngrBeardMan

GngrBeardMan

Reaction score
Only issue I have now is that my chest is too big to get under the rig as it is right now with out jacking it up and my apartment complex won't let us do that. Anything other than swapping out a tire and jacking up a rig is a lease violation so I need to find someone small that can get under it for me. Might try to talk to my landlord and ask for an exception cause I can't afford to have it towed to a shop and have them fix it

OP
OP
GngrBeardMan

GngrBeardMan

Reaction score
This is true, HOWEVER..... if you haven't checked the price of copper wire (or pipe) recently, you should probably take an AED or your cardiologist with you, cause it has risen to an heart-attack level, partly because of the increases in raw materials & manufacturing costs, but also due to extreme levels of theft....

Around me, anything & everything that is made from, with or containing copper.... pipe, or wire, even 1/4" Icemaker tubing & fittings, is locked up behind industrial-level steel cages with military grade padlocks that require 2 different keys to open, and even then, there is a 9-step protocol you have to agree to follow in order to make a purchase BEFORE they even open the cages....

I recently went to buy an 8' x 1/2" copper grounding rod, which a few years ago, used to run about $35-45 and were easy to shop for from the open pipe racks next to the plastic conduit, now they are $188 and locked in the above cages, yikes :eek::mad:o_O
I was able to get 6 ft of 2 gage battery cable for $35 at my local oreilly. Figure it might be a good idea to have it as it's gonna fall eventually. Was thing about running it down there anyway then try to start it to see what happens while I try to find something that will show me how to get the original out of the wire harness

Drae

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try wiggling or pulling the PCM relay (R203) and reinserting it . You can also swap it with one of the other similar relays in the same row as it. They are all the same. This was my culprit with the same exact issue you have for a long time. It went from every once in a while to every time I needed to start it after a year or so of finding this problem. After I replaced the fuse box it went away completely.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240819_152327_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240819_152327_Gallery.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 4