Oil Pressure Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2nd99Eddie

Reaction score
99 5.4
My oil pressure gauge is acting strangely. After the oil change, and not even a 1,000 miles later. The gauge wouldn’t come up. I checked the oil. It was only on the tip. I put 2 quarts and it came back up to normal or maybe even a little more.
Since the added oil. It seems like the gauge won’t move until you put it in Drive. Then it will stay in the normal range. Dead in the middle. The oil level is on point.
Today I notice it being a little slower.

What could be causing this?

Billme

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would check the the connection, especially if it’s oil soaked in the area..If it still does it after cleaning, then check wires, or just get a new sending unit..

Billme

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OP
OP

2nd99Eddie

Reaction score
Thanks but that was for the 3rd generation Expeditions. Not sure if they are the same but I’ll look.

Billme

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty close to the same area..
Search function is a little funky
Plenty of YouTube videos as well, on what to do ..

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Change your sending unit. It's easy. BTW, that gauge does not show oil pressure. It acts only like a warning light - it's either in the middle or on zero. My bet is sending unit. It will take 15 minutes to change.

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
My oil pressure gauge acted strange a little while ago. Where it used to come up right after start, it would take a bit to register. Shortly thereafter it started oscillating while cruising at highway speed. Mechanic noticed it, too. Checked the oil pressure; it was good when checked.

A couple of weeks later the engine seized. Oil pump failure.

OP
OP

2nd99Eddie

Reaction score
My oil pressure gauge acted strange a little while ago. Where it used to come up right after start, it would take a bit to register. Shortly thereafter it started oscillating while cruising at highway speed. Mechanic noticed it, too. Checked the oil pressure; it was good when checked.

A couple of weeks later the engine seized. Oil pump failure.
I believe that’s what happened to my blue Expedition and yes I might have neglected it just a little.
I was doing a lot of traveling and then pulled a good size load. Then hours later, as I was going to my house. It started making a noise. The radio was on. Turn it off. As I was on the accelerator the noise was worse. The engine eventually shut off. I coasted to the exit and off on the ramp.

This one at least doesn’t fluctuate while driving and does stay at normal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhmurphy1960