Misfire need help !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

krzstruyk

Reaction score
Yes, it is very possible you have a bad injector at 185K.

Have you run a quality injector cleaner through? I am a big fan of Royal Purples, and it is on sale at Advance this weekend.
I have not , do the injector cleaners actually work ? Never done them before but I can give it a try , I’m waiting for my forscan cable to come Monday so I can do some further diagnostics

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ll give it a shot , are these motors known for having bad injectors eventually or is that less likely I have about 185k on mine now
I'm at 163k on my Gen 1. No injector issues. Just timing chain and turbo manifold. But I use top tier fuel so YMMV. It's not something I've heard mentioned frequently as being problematic on these engines. My misfires were plug gaps and the towel incident. I haven't even changed my coils.

Check the plug wells for oil too. The plastic valve covers leak eventually and oil will get into the well.

OP
OP
K

krzstruyk

Reaction score
T
I'm at 163k on my Gen 1. No injector issues. Just timing chain and turbo manifold. But I use top tier fuel so YMMV. It's not something I've heard mentioned frequently as being problematic on these engines. My misfires were plug gaps and the towel incident. I haven't even changed my coils.

Check the plug wells for oil too. The plastic valve covers leak eventually and oil will get into the well.
Than

Thanks I will check it out once again today might upgrade to the recommended ngk ruthenium plugs someone else posted in another form

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks I will check it out once again today might upgrade to the recommended ngk ruthenium plugs someone else posted in another form
I am probably the one that recommended the NGK Ruthenium plugs. The part number I recommend is typically one step colder plug also. That being said the current OEM plugs should not be causing a misfire if you are on stock tuning unloaded with good fuel and not really high ambient. Especially with 91+ in the tank. You have another issue, again, my opinion.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have not , do the injector cleaners actually work?

Yes. You should not run them often, but if you have a stuck injector it can be the difference. The brand matters.

Most people try yo use them as a solve all, and run them WAY too often. Are they worth a try once, yes.

OP
OP
K

krzstruyk

Reaction score
I messed with it again today move plug and coil from cyl 5 to 4 (where cyl) 5 was originally misfiring , and now it’s showing multiple misfire and cyl 4 and 5, sounds like a fueling issue to me , my forscan cable arrives tomorrow hoping to be able to diagnose this better then , is there any specific tests I should try with forscan (I’m new to this program so not sure what to try)

tacoduck

Reaction score
I will just add that I think OEM motor craft plugs manufactured after 2021 turned to crap. I changed my plugs with motor craft plugs bought from autozone (not Amazon), and started having misfire issues. Took to dealer, and they said my plug was bad(had less than 10k miles on em.)

stilbo

Reaction score
Re: Injectors…
Techron fuel system and injector cleaner has been my gold standard in my 5.4 and 3.5 Expeditions for nearly twenty years.
The 2003 5.4 went 262,000 miles and ran great other than spitting out three spark plugs (Staked inserts) and new Motorcraft coils, when I traded it in for the 2015.
It was a total Northern Indiana rust bucket but ran great.
The 2015 only has 132,000 miles on it with no problems so far.

Last edited:

Andrew Roth

Reaction score
Sounds funny, but stick a flashlight up the tailpipe and look for insulation. My muffler came apart internally and plugged the tailpipe with the fiberglass insulation and caused a misfire on cylinder #6. This happened to me while towing our RV. Looked like a dead animal was stuck in the exhaust pipe.