oil treatments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lynn

Reaction score
Do any of you use any type of oil additive or treatments? Is it a good idea? do any of them help or do damage?

mohs00

Reaction score
cant say that i use any additivies i guess it might help if your engine has a lot of miles on it to help restore the rings and seals

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just use a good motor oil and forget about the snake oil.....LOL

if you want to flush that is a different story but be careful sometimes the carbon build-up will dislodge and block oil passages if there is alot of crap stuck to your internals.

Matt R

braduardo

Reaction score
I'm experimenting with Tufoil right now, but I can't tell if it is making any real difference as the weather has changed so much lately that I don't have any real consistancy in warm-up/idle time. I've also done a lot of other tuning up lately, so I can't tell you exactly what's helping. The stuff is pretty expensive (100+ per gallon) but I was able to get my hands on about 1qt for free (use 8 oz first oil change and 4oz after that) so I'll get a bit of a chance to see if it's any good. They recommend adding it to anything (differential, power steering, crankcase, transfer case, even bearing grease) except automatic transmission.

I've pretty much given up on every other additive, especially ones like Slick 50 that leave white crap stuck to the oil cap. I wasn't going to give this one a chance, but I spent an evening searching all over the net without finding anything negative about it at all. Most of the other additives you can find dozens of people talking about how it ruined their engines.

I'll be doing my second oil change with Tufoil before this weekend. I'll use it for a while, and if it seems to be making a difference over time, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

www.tufoil.com

braduardo

Reaction score
I've seen it in a couple online retail shops. Just google "tufoil" and a couple will pop up.

I changed my oil (Mobil 1 5-20) last night. I added 4-5 oz to my crankcase oil, about 1 oz to my power steering, and about 4 oz to my rear differential. I'll be leaving tomorrow on a 800-1000 mile trip, so it will be interesting to see if it helps my mileage at all. My overall performance has been pretty decent since I cleaned/oiled my K&N air filter, replaced my fuel filter (Wix), ran Seafoam through the vaccuum, and picked up a Superchips programmer. I was getting pretty bummed with <11mpg this winter.

braduardo

Reaction score
Originally posted by blaineball
that tufoil looks intriguing... i look forward to an update. Is it available thru retail or just the web site?

The Tufoil seems to work nicely. I can't really say for sure that it's making a huge difference, but I think it is. I ran my oil for just under 5000 miles and while it looked like the oil was doing it's job, it wasn't black. I would say it looked about like conventional oil looks after about 1000 miles.

I sold off my Superchip since I needed cash, couldn't afford premium gas, and it wasn't helping my mileage at all.

A couple weeks ago I drove about 400 miles round trip, and got just under 18 mpg by keeping it at 55.

I can't say for sure that Tufoil is making a difference, but it is definately different than any other additive I have tried. It has PTFE in it, but it doesn't foam up like Slick50.

I'm getting about 14mpg for my normal driving now. My usual driving is in-town highways, sometimes stop&go, 65mph, and very rarely over 20 miles at a time.

I would recommend trying it out. It's expensive, but it really seems to be working. I don't really see it marketed like most additives. Maybe some other people could try it out and we can see if it works for anyone else too. www.tufoil.com

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khwolf13