P0022 code and rough shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burn24

Reaction score
We purchased our 2018 Expedition Max about a year and a half ago. With four children, it seemed like the perfect vehicle to fit everyone comfortably. It currently has 83.000 miles on it.

Problems: We already had to replace the catalytic converter. For the past several months, we have been experiencing rough shifting, particularly around 30mph, though occasionally at other speeds or when putting it into reverse. My check engine light came on today with a P0022 code. The oil looked great and we changed it just to be sure. We also have a loud rattling noise that initially only happened when we started the car, but that now is constant. I’m aware that this is likely the cam phasers.

In all honesty, we know very little about cars. We’re concerned that our transmission may be on its way out. Is this likely or could the shifting issues be a result of the cam phaser issue?

I’m taking it to the dealership tomorrow and want to make sure I’m prepared with as much information and questions as possible. What warranties or TSBs should I know about? I’ve seen some and I’m not sure if they’re relevant to our situation and mileage.

I’m almost at the point of getting rid of it and finding something that is less of a money pit.

Any suggestions?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your cam phaser(s) are shot and so bad now that your timing is off and cause misfires. You will need a full timing job

The cam phaser issue shouldn't have anything to donwith the tranny issue

The rattle at startup is your camephasers AND the turbo wastegate linkage.

The rattle your hear while driving is most likely a combination of your turbo wastegate linkage rattling (mines does this too) A fix for this is to mcgeyver a spring on the shafts. As ford says the rattle is normal ( which is BS) & the other rattle is the stretched timing chain rattleing against the guide tensioners

The only real fix for the tranny shift issues is a full rebuild or good replacement tranny.

I prey to tge Lord you have a extended service plan in place

BigOleFordFan

Reaction score
Unfortunately, we have no warranty.
Well in that case, be sure to take your banker, all HIS gold cards, and perhaps your left gonad with you when you go to the dealer, as the repairs mentioned are hella-mucho $$ for sure (~$8-10K total) :)

jeffthebaptist

Reaction score
Wasn’t cam phasers a recall? Did they cover the catalytic converter under warranty? They’re telling me it went out at 60K, but the book says 80K and a chat with ford online said 80K…

OP
OP
B

burn24

Reaction score
I’m not sure on the cam phaser recall, but I did see that they may cover 33% since we’re between 80k-90k miles. We finally got them to cover the catalytic converter after calling the dealership multiple times and pointing out the page number for the warranty which is 80,000.

OP
OP
B

burn24

Reaction score
I’m not sure on the cam phaser recall, but I did see that they may cover 33% since we’re between 80k-90k miles. We finally got them to cover the catalytic converter after calling the dealership multiple times and pointing out the page number for the warranty which is 80,000.
It appears like the recall expired in Jan 2023 for the cam phasers but I hope I’m wrong!